Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40SW: Does it benefit non S_I guns a longer COL?

balmo

Folks shooting 1911s load longer because the 1911 was designed around the .45acp and 38 Super. Most find that the longer rounds feed more reliably. I think the only benefit you would find with a non-1911 style pistol is if the power you're needed the extra room because of pressure.

Like said above, the 1911/2011 guys usually run .40 longer because of function and reliability. I have heard from a few 2011 guys that their guns won't even feed factory ammo. This is my approach on ammo OAL. It must run reliable, must be accurate (this standard will vary by shooter) and must make power factor comfortably/safely. What ever my OAL comes out to be to satisfy those 3 things, that is what I will run them at. Fyi, I run my 180 gr BBIs at 1.130 in my TS and am happy with how they run.

It helps with feeding reliability. And the extra space within the case will help lower the pressure curve, or spike within the cartridge. But at the same time, it will require a little more powder to achieve the same velocity as a cartridge loaded near factory col's. I average about .2 gr more powder in my loads at 1.2", than those that load between 1.135"-1.150" for similar velocity.

Same answer as everyone above... Improved feeding reliability and more margin to use faster powders.

Win-win.

FYI, longer OAL may be a problem in CZ chambers, but you will need to check with the guys that run em.

Edited by Yeti