Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N38 in 38 SC. Weird chrono results

dvc4you

I was trying 3N38 in 38 Super with a 125gr jacketed round nose bullet. I went up to 8.7gr, but wouldn't go any higher. It seemed like I was maxing out the case without crunching the powder much. I can't imagine 10.5 gr. I'm loosing grains indexing from station to station at 8.5gr.

Most of the people I know are loading 10-10.5 gr of 3N38 for 124-125 gr in 38 Super. I'm loading 10 gr for 124 gr FMJ in my guns. Different barrel and barrel/comp configurations will require different amounts.

Like someone else said, when you hit the "sweet spot", you will know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying 3N38 in 38 Super with a 125gr jacketed round nose bullet. I went up to 8.7gr, but wouldn't go any higher. It seemed like I was maxing out the case without crunching the powder much. I can't imagine 10.5 gr. I'm loosing grains indexing from station to station at 8.5gr.

Ya. At 10.5g on my Xl650 I have to slow it down a bit. I charge then try to put the bullet on b4 it indexes to station 3. I don't use a powder check. Look N see "is the case full? yep" that's it. It helps w powder spills. Loading 11g of VV N105 is really hard! Lol

I'm surprised that going from 10 to 9.8 lost so much velocity.

Did you use the same chrono/fresh batteries/was it windy?

Different chrono my first post (10.0 and 10.3) were recorded indoors with a Prochrono Digital and infrared screens.

My last post (10.5 and 9.8gr) were recorded outdoors after last Sunday's match. Same brand different chrono owner.

I am thinking of going with 10.5gr , in conversation with Akai this setup (shogun model) likes a PF of 172+.

Ya. At 10.5g on my Xl650 I have to slow it down a bit. I charge then try to put the bullet on b4 it indexes to station 3. I don't use a powder check. Look N see "is the case full? yep" that's it. It helps w powder spills. Loading 11g of VV N105 is really hard! Lol

10.5 is not bad at all.... Compared to the 11.6 of N105 I was using before. There is still some space left in the case, going slow and using the flat ball bearing mod under the shell plate helps. Also I am using Mr Bulletfeeder so the case goes uncovered for just one station. Reloading on an RL1050.

I very rarely lose any powder at 10.4gn. Mines loaded on a 650 with mbf. You just need to remove that last bit of shell plate snap. I use the lighter detent ball, spring cut 1/2 coil, shell plate bearing and washer on top. The difference between shell plate being too loose and snapping or being too tight is very fine. I paint a line in white paint on the bolt head in line with the station 4 locator button once I have it set just right. It takes probably 5 min of mucking around to get it right but once you do it won't spill powder and you can load plenty fast. :)

Good to know. I'm still new to the 650. I want a MBF for my bad hand. I haven't loaded my 1st 1000 yet so I'm still working out everything. I want to look into the low mass ball and lighter/cut spring. Take some of the snap out. For now, popping the bullet on before it stops helps

Edited by Open1215

Yep I was popping bullets on before the plate could index too but it was getting annoying having to stop half stroke to do it.

My advice for what it's worth:

Buy the low mass ball

Cut 1/2 a coil of the spring

Get the bearing and run it with a washer on top (no need for one underneath).

Spend 10 min setting up the shell plate bolt so it's ever so lightly dragging. No force needed to turn but no snap when it indexes. Then paint an index mark on the bolt head.

Even 11gn of n105 doesn't spill.

The mbf is great for removing left hand pain. Makes the whole process of loading much more enjoyable and adds only 1 min to calibre changes if you buy an extra mbf outer die for each toolhead.

I love mine. :)

If you pm me your email address I'll send you a short vid of it running so you can see what's posdible. When I looked at the system you can see using the short lever and spring along with the ball detent means that no matter how slow you move the handle the last little bit of travel is out of your hands. With the bearing you can introduce a very slight drag and the lighter ball does the rest. :)

If you pm me your email address I'll send you a short vid of it running so you can see what's posdible. When I looked at the system you can see using the short lever and spring along with the ball detent means that no matter how slow you move the handle the last little bit of travel is out of your hands. With the bearing you can introduce a very slight drag and the lighter ball does the rest. :)

any chance you could put the vid up here

thanks

Mick I generally don't post any vids publicly (don't even have a YouTube account but if you pm me an email address I'll send you a copy too. :)

edit: I feel like I've talked this up too much now! lol it's just a 30 second vid of me slowly loading 38 super major (think I was loading 11gn N105 or it was 10.4gn 3N38). It just show a bit of the mbf then clearly slows how the shell plate rotates but does not snap that last part of its travel.

I'll get on that new fangled internets so all interested can see it.

Edited by BeerBaron

I usually run 10.2-10.4 sith an almost identical gun and get 173-175 PF easily, if you're not compressing loads you can keep going up .1 till you find that "sweet spot" as mentioned earlier, once there, you will definitely know it!

I usually run 10.2-10.4 sith an almost identical gun and get 173-175 PF easily, if you're not compressing loads you can keep going up .1 till you find that "sweet spot" as mentioned earlier, once there, you will definitely know it!

Boom!

My sweet spot is at 10.1gr @1.235 on a 650. MG 124gr JHP and WSR primers and average 170pf all day long, highest it went was 173pf in hot weather.

10g of 3n38 gave me 171 pf
9.8g of 3n38 gave me 169 pf

OAL of 1.20 - 1.21

I have 2, 3/16" popple hole in my barrell

Comp is a little different now than in this pic. It has 4 upWard ports and 2 sideways ports.

02_zpssbjtmuj9.jpg

Edited by bigboy69