Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I thought guide rods were a drop in part

lucas

I tried to replace my stock 2011 guide rod with a 2011 tungsten rod ,which locked up the gun emmediately. I then payed more attention to the instructions and discovered the button on the new guide was in contact with the barrel feet. I then more closely inspected the button of my original guide and noticed the button had been ground down, about 1/3 from the bottom up ,at an angle. I put the stock rod back in and closely inspected it. The button where it was angled looked to me to still be in contact with the barrel feet, if only barely, but I noticed the little legs on the guide rod that rest on the barrel were as far back to the barrel feet as possible and not the case with the tungsten rod . With the tungsten rod ,not only was it clearly apparent the button was in contact with the barrel feet but there was a noticeable gap between the legs and barrel feet. This told me I need to mimick what was done to my original rod to my new tungsten rod. I hope that is correct, because I am almost done grinding on the button. My gun is custom made by a popular builder but yet they had to alter a stock STI guide rod for the gun to function? Is this normal ?

The factory sti guide rods comes ground that way. Other rods do not, you will need to grind them to match.

The tungsten guide was advertised for STI with the smaller button, so why wasn't it also ground?