Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super brass problem

Azone41

I was at a match last weekend and had two DEATH Jams on two seperate stages. I thought it was the extractor at first. But as I checked it out after I got home it seems that my brass is too long, some of the loaded rounds will not go flush into the chamber. The brass is Rem new brass. Has anyone else had this trouble with brand new brass? I also had a few that were swelled at the base ( Not new brass). I have ordered a undersize resizer and chamber checker for EGW, anyone use one of these dies and how do you like it.

Thanks for any info

I have run into some over length brass from Remington (brand new). Not a bunch but about 1 every 5000 rounds or so. Chamber checking will usually catch this. If debris gets caught in your chamber it can cause the same type of jam (small bits of corncob, etc.)

Azone - Chamber check your ammo, or check the length of your unloaded brass. The stuff that's too long put aside, and get a Lee .38 Super case length gauge, plus the cutter and lock stud. Empty and de-prime the brass (a .357 Mag revolver should work for that loaded ammo, or you can pull the bullets), chuck the case length gauge in your electric drill and trim the brass. It's the cheapest way I know to do it.

i've seen the same overlength problem with winchester as well as remington. with all the various brass manufacturers and different quality control standards the ability to insure that the casing will fit you firearm is up to shooter. be sure to always case gage and and check all your reloads before heading to the range and be sure the bore and chamber are free and clear of any obstructions or debris. if you are using copper plated or frangible type bullets, these bullets tend to shed either copper plating particles or on the frangible bullets, they can chip and leave debris in the chamber causing the firearm to not fully go into battery, this seems to be more prevelant in an open class pistol because of the higher velocities. so always check your brass and to minimize other problems it's best to use a fully encapsulated jacketed bullet or hollow point jacketed bullet so there is not an exposed lead base. :rolleyes:

I didn't have a chamber checker so I have always used my barrel to check ammo. I can only guess that this box I had the problem with had not been checked for some reason. I have picked up a chamber checker now and have gone through all my loaded rounds and I have found some that dont fit. Thanks for the advice hey Dan I just ordered my new gun from Chuck so you will be seeing my frame next week. I am looking forward to getting my new open gun from you your work really looks awesome

Don S

The best Chamber Checker is Your Chamber.

Did your pistol run 100% before the problem? If not it might need reamed

If it did I agree with all the above. I have had a piece of jacket cause failures like described

Thats why the problem was so freaky. My gun has always run like a hose with no problems. It really upset me because it happened @ the Double tap champ so those two stages cost me quite a bit. (stage 2, 48. something and stage 11 77.48). I didn't quit but it took forever to get the gun clear.

• 6 years later...

I was searching as I have the same problem on occassion. After a couple of reloads, after practice or local matches, some of the 38 super brass was too long and the slide wouldn't close.

124 MG CMJ's, 1.235 OAL

I haven't shot many lost brass matches, so the brass gets reloaded.

Is this common, or do most people lose the brass before it gets too long?

Thanks,

AP

I was searching as I have the same problem on occassion. After a couple of reloads, after practice or local matches, some of the 38 super brass was too long and the slide wouldn't close.

124 MG CMJ's, 1.235 OAL

I haven't shot many lost brass matches, so the brass gets reloaded.

Is this common, or do most people lose the brass before it gets too long?

Thanks,

AP

Before I went 9 major I shot 38SC. Fatboy brass is common, range brass picked up at major matches. I run all of mine thru a case pro, but more importantly I chamber check every round I reload, let me repeat that I chamber check every round I reload. I use a Dillon or Lee SAMMI guage. Sure you can do it in the barrel but I have 4 guns, do all four, no don't think so.

I have not run into any brass that is to long, it either gets lost or splits before it gets to long, I know some pieces of 38SC have been reloaded more than 20 times.

Now more in line with the thread there is 38 Super and there is 38 Super +p, and my shooting buddies that have tried plain 38 Super basically found out they could only shoot it a couple times and it was trash, the +p on the other hand wears like 38SC or TJ.

When I load a 1,000 rounds I may only get 1 or 2 rejects on the drop check (remember I ran them thru the case pro), these can be nicks in the rim from the sizing die, or it split when I loaded it. Now finding those two could be the reason why I ran the entire DT match without any issues. The way to happiness is paved with being 9002 anal about your ammo if it don't fall in and fall out of the drop check, then its not match quality, its practice bucket material. Also when your loading away at break neck speed and there is a powder sling, like when a primer is hard to seat, or that stupid spring ejector on the xl650 flings one, well that round isn't crono quality so it goes to the practice bucket, I didn't minor either.

Starline makes good brass, as does Lapaua and Hornady.

Bulged rear cases common.....if you can, take a sizing die, cut the end off and size your brass all the way down....it's the cheaper fix'r upper....

As far as the new....I run into a few scrap'rs also...

As per stated...get a gauge and check them all...your barrel may except a piece of brass...but if you turn it the rim can have a nick or be off center enough that it won't feed in another position....the gauge will pick this up

Thanks for the responses.

Bulged cases are not the issue. I check them with a Wilson case gauge or one from EGW. That doesn't seem to check the length. It is the overall case length that is giving me the fits. I am using +P brass. I have used a case length gauge after sizing, but that's a pain. I use the barrel now to check for chambering on the length.

Just wondered if anyone else saw the same issues or if possibly my chamber was a touch off.

I'm bet'n your chamber is a tad short.....or something in it

your gauge should check the OAL, the back rim and the case length..

I use a Dillon gauge...it does all the above

If you look inside the gauge you'll see the case length shoulder

I'm bet'n your chamber is a tad short.....or something in it

your gauge should check the OAL, the back rim and the case length..

I use a Dillon gauge...it does all the above

If you look inside the gauge you'll see the case length shoulder

I did notice the rim in the gauge, but the cases don't seem to hit it and stay out of the gauge. The gauge is a Wilson, I think I got it from Dillon.

It seems that the chamber may be a bit short. Hmmmmm.

Thanks!

I had this issue after using the Lee/EGW U Die on a lot of Remington .38 Super+P. It made about 20% of the brass too long to chamber in my Brazos gun, and somewhat less of a problem in my Caspian with a TruBore barrel. The warning sign was once in a while the U die would shave brass from half way up the case and pile it up at the base. I believe the U die would only make your problem worse. Try a Lee standard die or a Dillon die. If your reloads are not over length and your crimp is .379 or so you should be able to drop a round in your barrel and have the base at or below the hood.

I tried one of the EGW dies as well, thinking that the problem was the base being too fat at the base to chamber. Turns out it was the length after I checked all the rounds with the Dillon case gauge and still had a couple of jams. Finally figured out it was the length. I went back to the standard Dillon sizer die.

I just wondered if this was a common problem or maybe my gun's chamber was a little short. Maybe a touch short or I hate losing brass that much :devil:

Thanks for the replies!

ap

Mr 41 -

I'm right there with you. Those jams can be thoroughly demoralizing. They are like your first DQ, it's not 'if' but only 'when'. Those experiences are generally what drive the better shooters to check every competition round in their chamber or with a cartridge gauge before each outing.

So there's one more thing to add to the long list of 'items to correct' before you make it to Master Class and the 72 virgins.

:blink:

Edited by rfwobbly