Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 JM or M3K?

rootacres

I am getting started in 3 gun after doing a few USPSA pistol competitions. Ive built a rifle I am very happy with and my pistol is great. I am now looking at purchasing a shotgun, my pump gun is really slowing me down. I am impressed with the specs of the JM but a few people I have talked to have had mixed results with them out of the box. Is the JM still a great option or is the M3K the route to go? I am not in the market for Beneli or Versa max, they are more money than I would like to spend. Thanks for the help.

There are dozen page threads on here getting any one of the autoloading shotguns to run right. You can also spend hundreds of dollars doing so with either gun. Decide what loads you are going to run and which one fits you out of the box and then research the trouble spots. They all have them. In fact, ALL auto-loading shotguns have them. The trick is finding one where they have been found and addressed. Here are a couple of threads to get you started with your narrowed two:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173219

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196304

Anyone that hasn't run either one of these guns that is properly set up for the task is comparing apples to porcupines. A lot of people have gone before you and found/addressed the competition-specific issues with each platform. Incidentally, the biggest aftermarket support for the Stoegers, Saigas and Mossbergs comes from Oregon companies. Hmm.

:ph34r:

There are dozen page threads on here getting any one of the autoloading shotguns to run right. You can also spend hundreds of dollars doing so with either gun. Decide what loads you are going to run and which one fits you out of the box and then research the trouble spots. They all have them. In fact, ALL auto-loading shotguns have them. The trick is finding one where they have been found and addressed. Here are a couple of threads to get you started with your narrowed two:

Anyone that hasn't run either one of these guns that is properly set up for the task is comparing apples to porcupines. A lot of people have gone before you and found/addressed the competition-specific issues with each platform. Incidentally, the biggest aftermarket support for the Stoegers, Saigas and Mossbergs comes from Oregon companies. Hmm.

^^This is good advice.

As far as "930's don't run," that hasn't been my experience.

I bought a 930JM pro about a year ago and have had only two issues with it. Initially the juncture between the magazine tube and nordic extension was a little rough and would catch the follower, but about 10 minutes of light polishing fixed that problem for good. Also, after about 400 rounds the pivot pin for the shell stop broke, causing the gun to stop feeding shells from the magazine tube. Mossberg sent me a replacement pin plus a few extra for my spares bin no questions asked. I haven't had any issues with the shell stop since.

I have replaced the stock lifter with a welded and polished lifter from CJ SMith at Sky Tac, and am gradually working through all of the performance tweaks that are recommended for 930s (including adding some of the performance parts from one of those companies in Oregon!). I am happy with the shotgun, especially considering how inexpensive it has been thus far. As long as I keep it clean it runs like a top.

Can't speak to the Stoeger but I've read they may have some quirks of their own, and they do require some additional parts to be "3-gun" ready when compared to the 930.

Edited by WillG

^^This is good advice.

As far as "930's don't run," that hasn't been my experience.

I bought a 930JM pro about a year ago and have had only two issues with it. Initially the juncture between the magazine tube and nordic extension was a little rough and would catch the follower, but about 10 minutes of light polishing fixed that problem for goon. Also, after about 400 rounds the pivot pin for the shell stop broke, causing the gun to stop feeding shells from the magazine tube. Mossberg sent me a replacement pin plus a few extra for my spares bin no questions asked. I haven't had any issues with the shell stop since.

I have replaced the stock lifter with a welded and polished lifter from CJ SMith at Sky Tac, and am gradually working through all of the performance tweaks that are recommended for 930s (including adding some of the performance parts from one of those companies in Oregon!). I am happy with the shotgun, especially considering how inexpensive it has been thus far. As long as I keep it clean it runs like a top.

Can't speak to the Stoeger, but I've read they have some quirks of their own, and they do require more additional parts to be "3-gun" ready when compared to the 930.

+1 "CJ SMith at Sky Tac"

Maybe I'm the odd man out, I just prefer guns that have better than a 50/50 shot at working when they come out of the box. But what do I know, my 3G shotgun is only at 5k+ rounds without cleaning, malfunctions or broke/wore out parts....

Maybe I'm the odd man out, I just prefer guns that have better than a 50/50 shot at working when they come out of the box. But what do I know, my 3G shotgun is only at 5k+ rounds without cleaning, malfunctions or broke/wore out parts....

What sort of shotgun do you run?

Edit: As Scrmblr said below, I'm happy with the JM considering what it cost and the minimal amount of work I've had to do to it. No more, no less. It's certainly no Benelli or Versamax, but neither of those were in the budget at the time.

Edited by WillG

No worries man, not a fanboy for JM Pros, just had very little $ and was able to make the gun run for me out of the box with a little sweat equity. If I was buying another I'd likely get a M3000 from MOA, but then I'd be paying for the work instead of doing it myself. When I when the lottery I'll give everyone TT Benellis and Versamax's.

Edited by Scrmblr

No worries man, not a fanboy for JM Pros, just had very little $ and was able to make the gun run for me out of the box with a little sweat equity. If I was buying another I'd likely get a M3000 from MOA, but then I'd be paying for the work instead of doing it myself. When I when the lottery I'll give everyone TT Benellis and Versamax's.
Alright. I'm patiently awaiting the day you win the lottery!

A 1301. I like tinkering with guns, and I'd tinker and polish any gun no matter how perfect it already ran. What I don't like is working on them to keep them alive.

Very nice. And I know what you mean about continually working on a gun to keep it alive. I have noticed that if you don't keep the 930 cleaned on a regular basis it will come back to bite you. It definitely takes more consistent work than I expected when I bought it.

Question on the Beretta - what's the shortest length of pull the stock can be adjusted to?

A 1301. I like tinkering with guns, and I'd tinker and polish any gun no matter how perfect it already ran. What I don't like is working on them to keep them alive.

Very nice. And I know what you mean about continually working on a gun to keep it alive. I have noticed that if you don't keep the 930 cleaned on a regular basis it will come back to bite you. It definitely takes more consistent work than I expected when I bought it.

Question on the Beretta - what's the shortest length of pull the stock can be adjusted to?

Very true. I drop the piston in my sonic cleaner after every range day, then hit with dry teflon spray. No worse than my M249 SAW's gas piston in the Army... But I can't justify replacing it when it keeps crushing stages for me. If it $hit the bed on me I'd replace it, but it keeps running...

Here's another vote for the JM. I have 2 myself. One 22" set up for "only 8 in the tube" matches. One 24" with 12rd tube. Both work great for me. Just recently found out that they will even run the 26gram "low recoil, low noise" Winchester stuff that I had assumed would only work in a pump or O/U.

I have the 930 Flannigan and it runs great. I clean it every once in a while, and pour oil on it before each match, just like my other guns. Low cost, low recoil, very reliable.. what's not to like?

I'd go back in the archives - lots of great info.

J. Kelley seems to be The Man re: shotguns on this Forum, and

he has a LOT of experience with all the shotguns.

If you cannot find his postings, I'd drop him a message -

he recommends a particular brand, but I don't remember

which it is (NOT the 930). :cheers: