Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long barrels for IPSC??

Carmoney

I switched over from my trusty (but loosey) 6.5" 25-2 to a nice 5" 625-6, but now I find I miss having that extra sight radius for making the longer shots. I would love to see S&W bring out a 625 with a long but light tapered barrel (a la Model of 1950). Any thoughts on this?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only revolver guy who likes long barrels. This dude in the picture even went through a phase where he had special 10-5/8" barrels put on some of his guns:

post-4033-1111124212_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I shoot a 5" 625.

I have a 6 1/2" model 25 I'd like to use but haven't...yet. I need to get some Miculek square butt grips. I "need" to install a gold bead for these old eyes. I like the extra weight of the 6 1/2" . I also need to chamfer the charge holes and hate too as it's a nice old 25.

I may get it done yet this year.

Dave

Dave,

That sounds like a lot of work. I'll give you $100 for the gun and you can just stay in the rocking chair remembering the good old days when bread was a nickel....

Mike, while at the 2004 Area 3 I queried Miculek as to why he wasn't shooting one of the PC625's he helped Smith & Wesson design. He said he liked the heavier weight of the stock 5" for recoil control.

BUT, he said he had been asking Smith & Wesson for a production 625 (PC or not he didn't say) with 6" barrel, and I assume a heavy underlug.

Don't think he was having any luck, but maybe if Revo shooters started emailing Smith (maybe Jerry?) with requests like that, who knows?

Dave

Cliff,

I deserved that! After all my cracks about your youth!

I had a 627 Jawor was wet in the panties for and he traded me that 25. He has requested first right of refusal.

I'm shooting Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I may just pull that long barrelled 25 out and shoot it!

Where's my dremel?

mmmm....bread for a nickel

Dave

AIRDALE,

Have you tried the gold bead in a match? I tried mine, one time, that was enough, it faded into the paper so bad I could barely see it! Being 60 years old has a little to do with that! For me, the fiber optic is much easier to get on target if I'm in a hurry.

Did bust a couple of Warthogs in Africa using the gold bead, they didn't seem to like it either.

Dick A48544

SixShot,

I normally shoot a 625PC that came with a gold bead front sight. I'm accustomed to it.

I'm going to shoot the 25 in the second round today. We'll see if I can find that big black front blade. Should be fun. :D

Dave

Just for OLD times sake, I dusted off the 6 1/2 inch 25 to shoot the local match Sunday. Now I just have to find the cowboy rig.

Mike and Dave may have started a REVOlution....

I didn't get to shoot the 25 today. I shot my 627 w/CMore in Open. That was a hoot.

I'll shoot the long barrel tomorrow. I ran it this evening in the pasture-it's sweet.

Doesn't famed gun writer Mr. Sweeney shoot a 6 1/2" 25?

Now if a 6 1/2" barrel is good that must mean and 8 3/8" 25 would be king! :)

Dave

I actually built up an 8-3/8" .45 ACP revo awhile back by fitting a long 25-5 tube to my old 25-2. It was pretty cool for the 8-pin reload event, but a little too muzzle heavy for ipsickin' (and illegal under the current division rules, right?)

Jerry always said that the long tapered barrel on the 27 was the best because it was light and transitioned fast. That's why I'm suggesting a "Model of 1950" style taper. I'd like to have a longer, but lighter, barrel available. I'll bet Jerry's asking for a non-underlug 6" gun.

Mike

I shot my 6 1/2" 25-2 today at the local match and really liked it.

Muzzle rise and recoil seemed milder. I don't like the grips on it and have a set of SB Miculeks coming. If the grips feel right, I'll run it some more.

Dave

Dave,

I just got back from the local match with my 25-2. Lots of fun. About halfway through, I figured out that the gun shoots high with the 230g bullets. Even with the sight all the way down, it would shoot over a plate at 15 yards if I didn't aim under it. The wide target trigger took a little getting used to. I think I'm going to use it at the South Carolina State match next month. Just call me OLD SCHOOL!

Mike,

No, as I recall, there were at least a few factory 8-3/8" barreleld 25-2s that got out into the world. As for what is allowed, if the factory ever made it, it is kosher to use it even if you have to build it to duplicate it.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, plugging an 8" or so barrel into a spare 25-2. Didn't Herb Beck do that, with a pair of guns for SC?

On the topic of longer barrels.. I occasionally shoot my 610 classic with a 6.5" tube. I took it out this weekend and the only ammo I had was this 1100 fps 180 gr ammo (pf~198). Even with this full power stuff, it was very manageable. Up till I pulled this thing out I'd been shooting a heavy open gun, so even though the loads were a bit hotter than the open gun, the recoil wasn't severe and was very shootable. I was getting some good times on the practice stage and even beating some bottom feeders.

I too like the longer barrels for the improved sight radius. The disadvantage is, I feel like I'm listing to one side with that big hunk of metal on my hip :lol:

Vince

Patrick--very interesting......

I think an 8-3/8" tube might be a little muzzle-heavy for IPSC, but it might be worth some experimentation. Maybe I'll screw the long barrel back on for a little while and try it out.

You're right about Herb, although I think he was using 625s as the base guns. Here he is on the left:

Winchester Shoot-Off

Mike

My Miculek's arrived for my 25-2. I shot it at Zookeeper's ICORE match yesterday.

I decided to run it as fast as I could pull the trigger. I am pleasantly surprised to say it stays on target much better than my 5" PC 625.

This will be my IPSC gun this year.

Dave