Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are 1050 caliber changes so feared?

Just how long does it take to convert a 9mm to .223?

Those are the two calibers I shoot thousands of each month. Wondering just how long and tedious a caliber change would really take.

And would it take just a little more time to change it to something like .45ACP or .308? Because with the price of caliber changes, it may be best to just get a 650 or 550 for calibers I won't reload as often.

Time is no problem, I change from 223 to 308, takes about 30 minutes and that includes cleaning things in the process. The cost is the biggest factor I think with blank heads being so expensive, over 200 the last time I looked, and I think the caliber change kit is about 175, plus the cost of dies. Cry once thou, you won't regret it...

jj

When you change over from something with a small primer to something with large primer do you have to readjust the swage station? For that matter when you change calibers that share the same primer size, 9mm to 40 for example, would you have to adjust the swage station for something like that? If you have to adjust it, is that very time consuming or difficult?

For me.. changing calibers is about 15 minutes. I never change primer size though. And this includes cleaning the press, at least some.

it does really make me feel like an idiot, when I realize I put the new head on, and forgot to change the shell plates

A friend of mine has a building dedicated to his 1050 presses.

Keeps one setup for each cartridge and load.

For example, he has one for his 45 ACP 200 SWC load and another for his 230 FMJ load.

Most are power driven.

Keeps life simple, he says.

Edited by Hammer1

When you change over from something with a small primer to something with large primer do you have to readjust the swage station? For that matter when you change calibers that share the same primer size, 9mm to 40 for example, would you have to adjust the swage station for something like that? If you have to adjust it, is that very time consuming or difficult?

Yes, yes, and no

As long as you're not changing primer sizes, it takes me 15 minutes total to change over from one caliber to another.

The first time that you put a new toolhead together and mount it, you'll have to adjust the primer seat depth (there's a little adjustable plunger that comes down from the toolhead that drives the primer punch), but other than that, it is pretty "surprise free".

I bought a 1/2" drive ratchet, 3-inch extension, and a 15/16" socket that I dedicate to the press (removes the big bolt that holds the toolhead onto the ram). That way, I don't have to run and rummage through the toolbox to make this happen. I also have a set of Allen screwdrivers mounted nearby. 3/16", 5/32", & 1/8" will cover almost every screw used on Dillons.

It's not something to be feared, as long as you're prepared for it.