Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 Gr. RN X-TREME and HP-38/WW231

Canine582

I know both have been discussed here quite a bit over the years. Can I get a few to share what your sweet spot has turned out to be with the above two, through a 5" 1911. I have been working up loads starting at 4.3 and will be going up.

Have you found a load that burns cleaner than another. Of course accuracy matters and I know that there are better noted bullets for accuracy than the X-Treme, but it's what I have for now. To the tune of 4K bullets and over 10#'s of powder. Please include your crimp/AOL as well.

Thanks

I don't use Extreme bullets, but a Precision Delta 230gr FMJ with 5.0gr W231 at 1.265" gets me an average PF of 168 out of a 5" 1911. This is with a magnum large pistol primer, it was all I could find at the time.

Start at 4.7-4.8gr and work up from there. It will save you some time and components versus starting at 4.3gr.

Edited by Flash74

• 4 weeks later...

5.25gr of W231, under a RMR 230gr plated RN (similar to Xtreme), at 1.230 OAL, chrono'd 797 avg fps out of a 5" 1911 for me. Crimped .472-473.

It was noticeably stouter than the N310 or WST loads I usually run, but I liked it. I loaded it primarily for my brother's FNX which doesn't take well to light loads.

Edited by rev1911