Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Adjustable Sights?

Joe

I'm going to have my slide dovetailed for a front sight and the rear milled if necessary.

I'd like to have one w/o milling the rear but is that possible or even advisable?

What are the 'best' adjustable sights for a Commander length slide?

Should I consider a night sight?  Those new tru-glow tubes for the front?  Dots or no dots?  Ramped or target front?

Are smaller width front or larger notch rear available or would that be something custom?

If I'm going to spend $100 to mill the slide the price for sights isn't really a problem.  I more interested in how sights will appear to my eyes.

Any links and of course your comments will be appreciated.

TIA,

Joe

Hey Joe..

What is your use going to be for this gun??? competition, carry, both, range gun, home defense...I think the use will determine a lot of your answers.  You won't find many adj. available, if any, and not mill the rear of the slide..

Bomar, Caspian, LPA, MMC make adjustable for the 1911..you'll need to modify the rear notch yourself or gunsmith. the front width will need to be determined by you too. there are several threads about front sight width...and the shape will be a preference thing too.. I know i my collection I have both ramped and patridge shaped sights from .110 to .09 width..

If you choose a night sight or fiber optic front you may need to go a little wider to make room for the tube or optic. fiber optic fronts..Caspian, EGW, Dawson and Brazos Custom make nice ones...

You got a lot of choices..good luck and let us know what you find works best for you..

Sorry thought it was obvious.  Competition, specifically USPSA Limited 10.

With a search Wilson seems the overall choice.  They don't list any fronts though other than the fixed sets and the one night.

What manufacture offers a dovetail front partridge of various widths/heights in basic black?

TIA,

Joe

Joe,

Sad to say but you have to get a Brownell's catalog which will result in your life savings slowly withering away as you order item after item from the catalog.  Brownell's has your answer to front sights.

Bill

PS Brian sells a bunch of products including Wilson, in fact I just ordered the Wilson adjustable rear sight through Brian.

Joe,

I agree completely with Bill.  Get a Brownell's catalog and take a look.  Their website has a lot on it, but it is somewhat hard to find items if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

I also just purchased a Wilson rear sight from Brian and I recommend it highly.  

As far as front sights go, I have been pleased with the selection SV offers.  They start at standard .250 tall and .125 wide and go down to .110, .100, .090,  and .080.  They can be had smooth or serrated, with gold bead, fiber, or tritium insert.  

Started with a fiberopt front - and may soon ditch it. Its very fast for close range hosefests - but lacking in enough precision for 30, 40, or 50 yard shots. May try a thinner front. Get a quality rear and then try out a bunch of different inexpensive fronts to see what works best for you. D.

For an adjustable rear, nothing beats the wilson. As for the front, soon I'll be stocking a few parts from SVI, maybe one of them should be a selection of front site posts. They do make about every size you'd need... ?

be

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Tough call, to recommend what "you'd like." I'm currently using a 125 rear that I filed out to .135, and a .115 front. I like it, but I'm old and just don't see as well as I used to. (I'm not sure if that's really a factor or not.) Many use a .110 rear and a .090 front. Anywhere between those two should be fine...

be

be,

is a smaller front sight better for the longer shots or what is the real benefit of a smaller front sight? For bullseye I use a front sight which is as broad as the black target (25 meter distance).

• 1 month later...

I have a bomar that the pivot pin keeps breaking. I called them to ask for a new one and they wonted me to send them my gun so they could install it. With the new way UPS handles guns that would have cost more than I new sight. So I asked them to send me the parts and I would install them. They told me that 9 out of 10 guns smiths they send this to could not get the pin installed. There is a spring that is very hard to get the pin past to get it installed. I told them to send it to me because I will get it installed. I had to paying about $12 for a new pin and spring plus shipping.

Well I got the pin installed about two months ago and now it has broking again... I am thinking about buying a new sight but what else will fit in my bomar cut slide?

FTL, somebody here told me the Heinie fixed sight made for Kimber adjustable sight cuts will fit in Bomar cuts with slight modification.

I'm in the same boat as you. Keep in touch if you find something that works.

FTL, I have heard that you can take a small allen wrench (don't know if it is metric or not, but one that fits the hole tightly) and make your own pin.  I believe you put a small cut in it which will engage the spring in the middle.  I don't know though, look at the broken pins and see if they have a groove anywhere near the middle.   Supposedly the allen key is hardened and will last much longer than the Bomar pins, and you just cut it off on either side flush.   I believe Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports was talking about it for one, but I have heard of it elsewhere.

http://www.triangleshootingsports.com/

I have a couple thousand rounds on my Wilson adjustable that fits the Bomar cut and it is going strong.  Only time will tell, but it is highly recommended here and is advertised as being tougher than the Bomar.