Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 308 ammo

usmc1974

I have 200- 147 fmjbt bullets I weighed all of them and they are from 147.4 to 147.7, If I load these in lapua with 47 grains -+0 of Varget and have a velocity of AV of 2910 SD of 10 How far would you send these shooting at a 6 inch steel plate. thanks B

Depending on the BC of the actual bullet, you should have no problem ringing 600 with a decent gun -- sitting at 14 MOA drop and about 6 MOA with a full value 10mph wind.

Just for reference, same calculations gives 800 yard drop of 24 minutes drop, which is 200+ inches and 8 3/4 (6 feet) of drift - possible? Absolutely... tough to consistently do? Definitely. Wait for a calm day :goof:

I run 168's at about 100 fps slower and a little lower sd and 600 its a pop can gun most days (long as parallax allows) and still hold 1/4 MOA, 800 is pretty consistent for paper plates, 1000 gets tricky in not prime visibility and wind conditions.

It would be an exceptional M-80 ball type bullet that would be sub 2 M.O.A. Don't be real disappointed if you don't get the results you are looking for. If you just have them have fun, but don't expect greatness. in that weight range Sierra and Nosler make a great 155 grain match bullet and Sierra makes a really nice 150 grain match bullet, that I have had good results with out to 400 or so.

It is a Savage 10 FCP McMillan and the bc is 390. How do you get a lower SD Thanks B

That's a solid rifle, and really not a bad velocity consistency at all, didn't mean to come across sounding like that. The load i was talking about is my standard for one of my 308 bench specific guns. Besides being totally tuned and having the chamber to cartridge fit as perfect as I can (matching chamber reamer and custom die set, bushing dies etc), I'm doing the following in my loading for this gun, some of which will help muzzle velocity spreads:

Individually weighing and measuring match kings and trimming tips

Match primers

Weight sorted Lapua Brass with same # of firings, sized in match dies, neck turned and trimmed for more similar bullet release

Uniformer primer pockets and flash holes for consistent ignition

I do shoot Varget! That stuff is great for 308. If you have it give XBR a try too... If I didn't have 12 pounds of varget I may even switch to that

Probably a bit more even but I've lost my train of thought.

All that to say, depending on the type of shooting you're doing it's not necessary. If you want 1/4 MOA groups at 600 yards then you reload using time consuming methods, if you want to hit 10" plates at that distance it's a lot of wasted time! Get some big paper and shoot some groups from 100 out to 600 or 800 as you have room and see how they do!

That gun will do it for sure! What trigger are you running? IS that still the factory 20" barrel? If so I've got 8" on you which sure helps a lot, and when you set up for 1,000 I'd go at least palma match bullets (155gr) and may be worth at least running ballistics if not experimenting with the 168 VLD's, SMK's, or Amax's depending which ones your gun likes. Good luck, love to see a picture of a 1,000 yard ding on a fresh black steel from that rig!

The only issue at that range would be the speed. You need to check your ballistic calculator and make sure the velocity is still supersonic (about 1,300 fps). I would also be concerned with the FMJ as the back of the bullet has lead exposed and may cause issues with accuracy, but if the load groups 1 MOA at 100-200 yards, you may be okay. If not, try a match grade bullet as long as it is not a 168 gn SMK. They do not perform well past 600.

As far as the lower SD, 10 is not bad especially in a factory rifle. Anything in the single digits is good for MOA at distance. You can sort the brass of you like. If you are using Lapua brass, you really do not need to uniform the primer pockets or flash holes, unless you feel better about doing it.

You are going to get your biggest gains by changing primers (experiment with this. Wolf is good, and basically any match primer. I use CCI BR2)

Also using the same lot of Varget.

And neck tension is critical.

Good luck.

The only issue at that range would be the speed. You need to check your ballistic calculator and make sure the velocity is still supersonic (about 1,300 fps). I would also be concerned with the FMJ as the back of the bullet has lead exposed and may cause issues with accuracy, but if the load groups 1 MOA at 100-200 yards, you may be okay. If not, try a match grade bullet as long as it is not a 168 gn SMK. They do not perform well past 600.

As far as the lower SD, 10 is not bad especially in a factory rifle. Anything in the single digits is good for MOA at distance. You can sort the brass of you like. If you are using Lapua brass, you really do not need to uniform the primer pockets or flash holes, unless you feel better about doing it.

You are going to get your biggest gains by changing primers (experiment with this. Wolf is good, and basically any match primer. I use CCI BR2)

Also using the same lot of Varget.

And neck tension is critical.

Good luck.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this, as I have regularly shot them well over 600 yards, even holding 1/4 MOA for several hundred yards more. That being said, they may not perform well in any given setup whereas in the next one they will shoot lights out. I've seen this with bullets from almost every manufacturer, just don't want to see the OP rule out a great bullet used by many before trying it.

OP - with a 24" barrel you're in much better shape than I thought and should be able to hit the 1k, don't get me wrong it will be a challenge but you're set up well to do it.

I would say it is not optimal, but why not give it a try! I can use a Mossberg MVP, 20" fluted Sporter profile barrel (which is about a 1.5-2MOA rifle) and get first round hits out to almost 700 yards on 10x12" steel and Hornady Steel Match 155 Ammo. That rifle is kind of like a Bumble Bee that doesn't know it isn't supposed to be able to fly.

I would think that the potential with your rifle would be much better. Pick your day because the wind is going to kill you but other than that, who cares.

I would take my other rifle and 168SMK's and shoot past 700 all day long.

I prefer the 175s in my 308, but if you ever shoot at Bangsteel, I dare you to run out to 1k and stick your tongue out at the boys shooting 168s. I hope the 147s work for you because you allready have them, but I would move away from those bullets as soon as you can afford to. Too many great bullets out there to choose from.

I am going to spearpoint ranch September 5th it is a good one 400-1400 on stage 1 400 to 1300 is 16"x18" steel and 24x36 at 1400 you have 5 minutes to fire 2 rounds at each target. the other 6 or 7 stages are at 300 to 700 and a are 10" to 12" all COF are timed. some prone some from a hog saddle or off a swing bridge they don't make it easy. I will be shooting my lilja AR10 with sierra tipped 168's the 147's are for Hutch and just out to 600.

147 ball bullets are 2-4 MOA bullets. So... about 150 yds. assuming 4 MOA and you are dead nuts center on each shot. What you are going to find with ball bullets is that if you shoot a 10 shot group you will find 3-5 that are real close, its the other 7-5 that you are worried about and you cant cherry pick for the group.

Edited by dauntedfuture

• 2 weeks later...

147 ball bullets are 2-4 MOA bullets. So... about 150 yds. assuming 4 MOA and you are dead nuts center on each shot. What you are going to find with ball bullets is that if you shoot a 10 shot group you will find 3-5 that are real close, its the other 7-5 that you are worried about and you cant cherry pick for the group.

I figure they should shoot a might better if you weigh them, I did all bullets are 147.4 to 147.7. lapua brass.weighed each charge. 46.5 varget. anyway we will see. Thanks B

• 2 weeks later...