Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to competition shooting, looking for opinions on 1st pistol

Monson770

hello all! names michael, and i am looking to get into uspsa. ive been talking a bit to some guys at my gun store and reading online a bit about the two guns i like the best in my hand. the Glock 34, and the springfield xdm 5.25. i am leaning towards the springfield, but the glock seems to be not only more popular here, but also much more customizable.. im not sure if it makes much of a difference how many parts are out there for each gun, becausse iwant to shoot in production class.. i was under the impression that whatever feels better in my hand is what i should go with.. not having shot the xdm, but i have shot my dads glcok 17, i feel hesitant buying the xdm.

if anyone has some recomendations on either, or if the trigger options for the xdm will be enough customization to keep me going with the xdm, i would really appreciate it. im also open to other tips, personal preference people might have. trying to keep my initial purchase under 8-900.

i did find an xdm on consignment with all original parts/accessories for around 550, but i would have to wait and look for a similar deal with the glock.

thanks in advance!

I believe the Glock 34 has a 5.5 lb trigger (6.5 on other Glocks) so it's decent for competition shooting out of the box. The grip angle is a little steeper in relation to most other pistols but I believe this puts your wrists in a natural "locked" position which also helps control muzzle flip. It's really personal preference in the end so the best thing to do is try to shoot (rent if possible) both and see what works better for you. Just handling vs actual shooting can be very different.

I have both a Glock and a Springfield. I prefer the Glock, but if at all possible, try to shoot both at the range before you decide.

Both guns have their fans and both will end up costing about the same.

Go with what feels best to you.

Bill

edited to add: Get a box of 9mm shells and go to a local USPSA match. Without a doubt, there are folks that are more than willing for you to give their gun a try.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

You can get really good deals on used 34's on the Classifieds, Armslist, etc. A package deal will be your best bet. Wear is not really an issue and wear parts are inexpensively and easily replaced. You will want some decent FO sights, probably a modest amount of home trigger work (connector, plunger, $0.25 trigger job, maybe springs). Don't go overboard or reliability or reset will suffer.

Keep your costs in check, learn how to train dry/live. Gun will go as far as you want to take it.

In a year or two you may consider a different gun and the 34 resale value will be good...

I started shooting USPSA with a G34 and loved it. I switched to an XDM 5.25 this season and love it. The truth is that when you're just getting into the sport, your gun is gonna out-shoot you. You can't go wrong with either platform, they are both fantastic along with Smith&Wesson's M&P Pro. They can all be tricked out easily and fairly inexpensively. If you are able to, shoot all of them and buy the one that feels most comfortable to you. In the beginning, it's less about equipment and more about fundamentals and technique. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!

Why limit yourself to just those two? Try EVERYTHING that you can find...try the M&P, CZ'z, Tanfo's, Sig's, try them all. There might be something out there that you like better, or better yet, that you shoot better, than the Glock or Springfield.

I completely agree with Grumpy. I like guns, have several and will be acquiring more. Depending on you budget and plans for a gun inventory will dictate how you proceed. But it is wise to borrow and shoot as many different guns as you can before buying. And give thought to what division you plan to shoot. Best of luck to you and welcome to the sport.

Why limit yourself to just those two? Try EVERYTHING that you can find...try the M&P, CZ'z, Tanfo's, Sig's, try them all. There might be something out there that you like better, or better yet, that you shoot better, than the Glock or Springfield.

And thats coming from a "glock guy!"

Keep the gun cost managed and think about your consumables. Major purchase #2 is the best press you can afford.

If you already own a gun that fits in a division (even a revolver or a 1911), I would recommend buying the appropriate gear (ie belt, holster, mags, mag pouches/moon clips, etc.) in order to shoot the gun in the division it fits in. If you find its something you enjoy, use that $800-900 to buy a press and start reloading. I think doing that will take you farther than buying a new gun now.

Now, if this is your first gun then I will echo what everyone else has said and tell you to try everything and see which one shoots best for you. If you were local I have at least 4 of the big ones you could try

Keep the gun cost managed and think about your consumables. Major purchase #2 is the best press you can afford.

If you already own a gun that fits in a division (even a revolver or a 1911), I would recommend buying the appropriate gear (ie belt, holster, mags, mag pouches/moon clips, etc.) in order to shoot the gun in the division it fits in. If you find its something you enjoy, use that $800-900 to buy a press and start reloading. I think doing that will take you farther than buying a new gun now.

Now, if this is your first gun then I will echo what everyone else has said and tell you to try everything and see which one shoots best for you. If you were local I have at least 4 of the big ones you could try

I'm no Glock guy, never owned even one.

My mistake! I thought you sold one to RangerTrace, I miss understood.

My mistake! I thought you sold one to RangerTrace, I miss understood.

I had won a DK trigger certificate in a match, and since I didn't have a Glock, and he did, I gave it to him.

There is some excellent advice in all the above posts. The best is to take what you have to a match... see how you do... talk to upper level shooters.... (you will normally find them to be a very accommodating and informative group)... try different guns... and see what fits you best.

There is no way to tell a new competitive shooter what will be best for them. The shooter has to find that out on their own. But, they won't find out until they enter the arena.

Wow thank you to everyone for the input, and advice! i have been told this is a friendly and informative group. you all have proven that to be true thus far! i have shot my dads glcok 17 before with decent results in a "for fun" style training course one of my dads buddys puts together.. sort of like a more laid back uspsa match.. i did sort of latch on to what some people have been saying about having a gun that feels good from the moment you pick it up, and ended up purchasing an XDm 5.25 9mm. i know its not as customizable as the glock, but at this point, im looking for production shooting, and both guns have trigger jobs that can be done to them to get them shorter, crisper and lighter. also, i found it consigned for 550 with all original parts still with it and in excellent condition. with the xdm coming with the nice sights, and i felt like the steel magazines ejected quite a bit faster/easier, i am happy with my purchase. i do plan on building a collection over time, so maybe some of the other mentioned firearms will make their way to a match in the future.

again, thank you to everyone who chimed in! know that i read and considered everyones suggestions/opinions, and do really appreciate it!