Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open shooters still using revolvers?

tewatson

So, I competed in eight Bianchi Cups (1988-1995), all with revolvers. Retired from shooting in 1996 and stopped paying attention to what has been going on over the years. By the time I quit, autos were becoming more prevalent in Open, rather than the occasional exception as they were in 1988. The trend has probably continued.

Wonder if there is still any call for the classic Cup-specific Open revolver any more? As luck would have it, I had two new Frank Glenn stainless S&Ws built right before retiring. Trying to figure out what to do with them (and no, I don't have any desire to return to the Cup). Observations welcomed...

Tom

There are still numerous wheelgunners shooting both Open and Metallic. Anita Mackiwitz (sp) shot a 1916 this year, breaking the High Lady and High Revolver records. So...looking to sell one or both of those Smiths?

Out of a total of 268 shooters and Bianchi this year, there were only 33 of us wheelgunners. 6 shot in Production, 2 shot Metallic and the rest were Open. As Rippin said, Anita Mackiewicz was VERY competitive with her revolver and I was proud to see that. I think there will always be a segment that will shoot revolvers. I know a couple of AP shooters who transitioned to semiautos and have gone back to revolvers. The interest isn't what it used to be but there are still some out there.

Edited by BaggerJoe

So I'm left handed, shot an auto all my life, and then got real dumb.

I got myself a 686 PC 5 years ago, then got a 681-c-1 already set up for the Action game.

I have spent a lot of cash on these cool things.

I will not give up on my revolvers until I shoot a 1920, it may take me the rest of my life, but us lefties can be a bit like sticks in the mud.

Russell.

I have never had so much fun in the 35 years of the shooting sports.

Revolvers ALL the WAY.

Shoot lots of X's

They can definitely still be competitive, based on the shooter of course. Sadly, unless you find another old school wheel gunner, you may take a bath on them. I knew a guy that had a Model 10 that was all done up by Clark and ended up selling it for $600 locally because he isn't internet savvy and your average shooter doesn't want barricade wings and a goofy looking barrel.

I am fairly new to NRA action

got burned out shooting IPSC for the last 10 years and i wanted to start having fun again shooting

The gang at my club started Steel Challenge and i added NRA action

i bought a STI trojan 6 in for metallic and i liked it , best score in metallic 1868 140x

production glock 34 best score 1841 132x

but one guy offer me this big old gun

a 686-3 with a custom 6 inch barrel integral comp

big butt grip to go prone

and a huge gilmore mover dot ( that thing is bigger that my first tv)

with my cast 158 gr hi-tek coated

3.5 gr TG in a starline case it shoot like a laser beam

i might go with some hornady 158 or if you have a better load just post it

never shoot a match with it but i have cleaned the plate , lost 4 in the practical

i have some zeroing to do in the barricade

It took me five years before I shot my first 1920. Went straight from the range to LAX that night, got on a plane and headed for Vancouver, to shoot in the Canadian National AP Championship (the year was 1991, IIRC). Shot a 1918 in that match and dropped the two points on...the left side 35 yard barricade. D'oh!

Turns out the match winner shot a 1918 as well, and he had a higher X count than me...

Tom