Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

deflection off a hard-cover barrel different than deflection off the g

motosapiens

We had a guy shoot through a barrel, in the WSB the barrels were hard cover, the target had a full diameter hit.

The R.O. said it was a miss, he saw it go through the barrel and saw the barrel jump.

He was over ruled.

I think the R.O. was correct, I can also see why he was over ruled, because if it went further up, he would have been over ruled,,even though it clearly went through the barrel.

If it goes THROUGH the barrel (not skipping off the barrel) and the barrels were declared hardcover, and there were no holes in the barrel--it is a MIKE. I bullet cannot pass through hardcover, does not matter what kind of hole in the target it made.

This was a new barrel, the R.O. is very good, he watched it go through the barrel and the holes were not in it before this shooter shot the stage.

I always get a kick out of RO's who can watch a gun and the bullet at the same time. While it is possible at certain angles , under certain circumstances, its the guy with the scoresheet who should be on that assignment

This was a new barrel, the R.O. is very good, he watched it go through the barrel and the holes were not in it before this shooter shot the stage.

I always get a kick out of RO's who can watch a gun and the bullet at the same time. While it is possible at certain angles , under certain circumstances, its the guy with the scoresheet who should be on that assignment
I have no problem under the right circumstances. I actually get a kick out of shooters who say,"you're telling me you saw that bullet go through that wall?" Why yes, yes I did:)

It was a tight course, so he was able to see the shootet, barrel and target at the same time, He said he saw the barrel jump and there was an entry and exit hole in the barrel, That lined up with the shot in the target.

I saw the barrel before this shooter shot the stage, it was obvious he shot through the barrel.

He was the 2nd shooter on our squad, we were the 1st squad on that stage.

1st shooter shot through the barrel too, just below where the 2nd shooter shot it.

Standard practice for an experienced RO. :cheers:

I have no problem under the right circumstances. I actually get a kick out of shooters who say,"you're telling me you saw that bullet go through that wall?" Why yes, yes I did:)

ya, but most people get a kick out of you the first time they cross your path :D

ya, but most people get a kick out of you the first time they cross your path :D

:cheers: I try!

But really, While I don't focus on the targets, walls barrels etc while running a shooter MOST of the time, there are times I can direct my attention that way if I think I may need to. My best example would be a plate or TEXAS star. If you don't see it malfunction you can't accurately determine a REF if the shooter claims it. And, yes it is the clip board(nook) guys job to focus more on those things but often times the best seat in the house is right over the shooters shoulder.

OK at a local match, I engaged a steel popper, a barrel was close by. I had a richochet off of the barrel and knock down the steel. Yes not real good stage design, but it was there. It was scored as knocking down the steel. Is this correct based upon what I have been reading? (By the way I did ask if I got extra points for bouncing one off the barrel and knocking down the steel :blush: )

As Sarge said, that would be considered partially striking hard cover...

9.1.6.4 If a bullet strikes partially within hard cover, and continues on to strike down a scoring metal target, the fallen target will count for score. If a bullet strikes partially within hard cover, and continues on to strike down or hit a metal no-shoot, the fallen no-shoot or hit thereon will count for penalty.