Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside down cases coming from casefeeder

Just looking for some ideas on how to stop upside down cases from getting into the tube on my presses. I have a solution for catching them on the 1050 to prevent them from feeding, but would like to find a way to eliminate them coming down at all as I look to automate the 1050. Deprimed cases are the worst as they don't weight as much at the casehead and don't fall out of the feeder plate as easily as ones with primers do. I have the little tab bent in as per the directions, but some still sneak by, even primed cases sometimes. Pics of solutions would be awesome.

The most common cause of upside down cases is that your case feeder has excessive movement. There are many ways to add extra support. In my situation I ran a screw from the base of my case feeder into an existing shelf. Rock solid now. I haven't had a flipped case in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casefeeder is rock steady, and doesn't move. I am running it on high speed, only because it doesn't run at slow speed, however comparing to other friends setups my high speed is about the same as their slow speed

• 2 weeks later...

So I think this has been figured out. The drive/clutch in my case feeder is the wrong one, it was much thicker than it should be for the pistol plate apparently. So Dillon is sending me a new one, but in the interim I took the one I had and milled it down, now the plate sits flat in the hopper and I haven't had an upside down case in 1000 rounds. Also no jams up there either. Very happy.

I had this problem and three steps fixed it:

Secure the case feeder so that theres no movement. I used wooden shims under mine.

I was placing too few cases in the feeder.

Dont be afraid to spray Hornady one shot on the cases in the feeder

I might see 1 or 2 per thousand rounds, once the case is inserted into the shell plate it creates a noticeable difference in resistance.... I simply remove it allow the shell plate to finish indexing and move on. Might not have the most solid mount, or setup.... but I'm not even sure this would qualify as an issue.

~g

I had this problem and three steps fixed it:

Secure the case feeder so that theres no movement. I used wooden shims under mine.

I was placing too few cases in the feeder.

Dont be afraid to spray Hornady one shot on the cases in the feeder

So did you actually read the solution that I posted or the fact that the case feeder is mounted solidly? Cases are also well lubed. It was the fact that the shellplate was too high, it wasn't running flush in the feeder, as it was supposed to. Milled the clutch/adapter thingy down, now it's flush, no upside down cases in 4200 rounds now. I'm happy.

So I think this has been figured out. The drive/clutch in my case feeder is the wrong one, it was much thicker than it should be for the pistol plate apparently. So Dillon is sending me a new one, but in the interim I took the one I had and milled it down, now the plate sits flat in the hopper and I haven't had an upside down case in 1000 rounds. Also no jams up there either. Very happy.

Glad you figured your problem out. I have a bit of an un-related question. You say Dillon is going to send you out the replacement part for the case feeder. Does Dillon cover their case feeders with the same amazing warranty that they do for their presses. I am considering buying a case feeder for my 650, and was thinking I should just buy new, but if I can save a few bucks buying used, and there ends up being something wrong/warn out, will Dillon stand behind it and send me out new parts with no problems or cost to me?

I don't know that the part is coming for free as I ordered a bunch of other stuff while I was on the line. My impression is that the adapter/clutch assembly was the wrong one, for rifle I think instead, and not for pistol. In which case, maybe, it is being sent for free as the machine was a pistol machine from the get go. If that's the case, cool, but at the same time, if I am being charged for it, I have zero issue with that, I do not expect them to warranty my case feeder given it's age, so I wouldn't go out and buy a used one hoping it will be covered.

I would imagine the case feeder falls under the electrical product:

Per Dillon: Only our commercial machine, the Super 1050, has a one-year warranty, as do all electrical/electronic products and textiles.