Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Limited gun

R34PER

Is there any interest in weighted inserts that are attached into the channel inside the mag well?

I installed a prototype brass one into a large grip frame other day that added 2.5 oz. I think we would be a bit short of 1.5 oz for a medium grip frame byt we are still looking at some alternative materials.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Aj's giant brass magwell felt nice. Easy as hell to reload, but it doesn't look like it will last forever because of how soft it is.

I like it for sure but was very glad to be able to approach it's weight (6oz) using a combination of the STI stainless steel magwell (2.5 oz) and the brass slug insert (another 2.5 oz).

Alma,

Have you had some time on that magwell yet. I'm pretty new to limited and heard somewhere (can't remember where, old age) that brass magwells are good for the weight but have issues with lasting.

Don't know if this is true, what do you think so far?

Also, I've noticed the recessed adjustible sights that a lot of the Team Sig guys are running, is that in .40 (so you have room to mill the sights)? Is this a Grayguns offering?

Thanks for the info!

Chuck

Alma,

Have you had some time on that magwell yet. I'm pretty new to limited and heard somewhere (can't remember where, old age) that brass magwells are good for the weight but have issues with lasting.

Don't know if this is true, what do you think so far?

Also, I've noticed the recessed adjustible sights that a lot of the Team Sig guys are running, is that in .40 (so you have room to mill the sights)? Is this a Grayguns offering?

Thanks for the info!

Chuck

Chuck,

I am running a stainless steel mag well on my P320 but have run brass in the past when I used to shoot Glocks. Obviously steel mags will scratch up the brass but I wouldn't expect to see any functional issues, just cosmetic ones that you should be able to periodically clear up if desired. A couple of my team mates are running the brass magwell for Limited and 3 Gun so I will ask them how the wear has been.

The slides with the adjustable sights are not made from 40 slides. They do, however, represent some of the ongoing SIG and GGI R&D efforts tasked to the team to figure out what should be done to push the P320 to the next level. I don't know what might make it through the process but will say that I have been extremely impressed by SIG's receptiveness to feedback from the team and, of course, to feedback from Bruce.

I know Bruce has plans to have some options for retrofit adjustable sights but you will have to contact him directly to see about timing.

• 2 months later...

Ok so as an update to setting up a P320 as a limited gun I have installed an Apex Flat Trigger, a Springer Precision guide rod, and Dawson sights. The biggest difference was with the flat trigger. I'm just trying to decide which magwell/mag extensions to go with. Does anyone have experience with the Springer Precision and/or Taylor Freelance stuff? Also, has anyone tried the Springer Precision extended mag release? I'm not sure that it would be an improvement for me since i already reach the mag release just fine.

Alma: Have you done anymore work with the weight for inside the grip?

Ok so as an update to setting up a P320 as a limited gun I have installed an Apex Flat Trigger, a Springer Precision guide rod, and Dawson sights. The biggest difference was with the flat trigger. I'm just trying to decide which magwell/mag extensions to go with. Does anyone have experience with the Springer Precision and/or Taylor Freelance stuff? Also, has anyone tried the Springer Precision extended mag release? I'm not sure that it would be an improvement for me since i already reach the mag release just fine.

I have used both the Taylor Freelance and The Springer Precision 140s. Both work well. Pick one and go with it. If you get Springer then make sure you get springs from him as well. I think he uses a Grams kit that goes to something else so it will give you 23 in 9mm but won't lock back. Not sure about 40 capacity but it should be around 20 +-1.

Springer is still the only game in town for magwells (unless you do it yourself which is not easy). His magwells are a permanent modification on one of his grips or on yours. Not that big of a deal since grip modules are so affordable.

Most of the folks going for Limited are using the brass mag well which adds 6oz. I have a guy who will machine a brass slug for the rear channel that adds another 2.5oz in a large grip module or 1.5+oz in a medium module.

He was looking into carbide but it ended up being too much of a pain to machine. The 6oz Brass magwell should be enough for most people.

I just bought an extended magazine release. I hadn't picked one up until recently since I had no issues reaching the magazine release; however, missing dropping a mag at a couple of recent matches made me change my mind. I think I pushed the release but since I was in a hurry I didn't quite push it hard enough. The extended release seems like it will give me a margin of error to ensure that doesn't happen again. Quality is good and it is working as expected.

(Been lurking for a while, finally joined to answer this)

I just got a new frame for my 320 with the Springer Magwell and Mag release. I've been using the base plates for a few months, more on those later.

Initial impressions on the magwell when I got it were positive. Once I used it for a couple reload drills I loved it. It adds nice weight and balance to the gun. Make the grip feel better in my hands and it's easy to find when inserting a mag. I opted to just buy a frame from them and it took a couple weeks to get it. The mag release helps and doesn't require as much of a "flip" when I'm reaching for it.

I've got the Apex trigger and Dawson sight set. No work to the action other than a few thousand rounds.

Now to the base plates. Personally I don't care for them. I like the look, the feel and added weight. I don't like that I can't add 5 rounds to 4 out of 6 of them even after extensive use. What I don't like ever more is the tiny hex set screw that holds it in place. I actually had to grind a small notch out of the mag to allow the screw to hold itself in place.

The screw is incrediblely small and easy to strip so taking the mags apart to clean is a nightmare. Last outdoor match I ran stripped on and discontinued use due to dirt in the carrier.

In hindsight I would have ordered just one instead of 6 at once. Thinkng of trying one of the Taylo Freelance but I don't think I'll tie anymore money into this as I've got a DVC Limited on ordered and that will be an entirely new set of expenses.

1A817D2E-F0F4-4439-AF55-531855E7702D_zps

I like the gun a lot, but the difficulty in homesmithing the trigger is holding me back from committing....yet.

Hope Bruce comes out with a "kit" at some point.

I think he is pressing forward on this again now.

I like the gun a lot, but the difficulty in homesmithing the trigger is holding me back from committing....yet.

That is great news and news that I think many want to hear!

I need to add that the stock 7#!!! trigger does not feel like 7 as it is pretty easy to shoot well as is.

I need to add that the stock 7#!!! trigger does not feel like 7 as it is pretty easy to shoot well as is.

Taking a pound off of that is fairly easy. Polishing just the contact points between the trigger bar and the FCU (and maybe a couple other small parts like the striker safety engagement surfaces) should easily bring it down a pound and smooth some things out. You can also see how well it runs with only one of the two sear springs set into place. Beyond that it gets a bit more difficult. Changing geometry in a few key areas requires more than just work with some stones.

My competition gun is sitting at 3lb 4oz with a stock, uncut striker spring and trigger bar spring. It sets off anything I have tried and it's nice to have a Production gun that doesn't require Federal Primers to run.

Taking a pound off of that is fairly easy. Polishing just the contact points between the trigger bar and the FCU (and maybe a couple other small parts like the striker safety engagement surfaces) should easily bring it down a pound and smooth some things out. You can also see how well it runs with only one of the two sear springs set into place. Beyond that it gets a bit more difficult. Changing geometry in a few key areas requires more than just work with some stones.

My competition gun is sitting at 3lb 4oz with a stock, uncut striker spring and trigger bar spring. It sets off anything I have tried and it's nice to have a Production gun that doesn't require Federal Primers to run.

A cursory glace has me thinking the parts to be polished are plated?

Most of the polishing I did was on the side of the stainless steel FCU, where the trigger bar rubs. That can clean up to the nice mirror shine. On the trigger bar itself I was working with 800 to 1200 grit and so far it looks like I didn't go deep enough to remove any plating. It know when Bruce gets done everything gets some kind of Teflon coating. Hopefully he will have something there for you to feel at Shot Show range day assuming you can make it out.

• 1 month later...