Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Limited gun

R34PER

So I'm think about turning my .40sw full slide, one of my full grips, and one of my trigger assemblies into a Limited gun. Looking for input from other who have modified one for limited or at least thought about it, what their opinions/suggestions are.

I was thinking:

Spring Precision 140mm base pads

Gray Guns competition action package

Gray Guns 1911 spring guide rod

Apex flat trigger

Dawson fiber optic sight

Springer Precision large grip tape wrap

I've seen one of the team sig guys with a mag well but cannot find one online.

What is everyone's thoughts? Do you or don't you think a P320 has potential to truly compete in limited, and why?

Here is one set up

http://teamsigsauer.com/sig-sauer-p320-uspsa-limited-production/

I am filling the gap inside the magwell with epoxied in lead and have a magwell on the way that I will attach to a grip frame. He used a tungsten mag well but my first go at this will use aluminum due to cost.

The DAA race master holster now supports the P320 if needed.

I would get a GGI fat guide rod to add some more weight and allow adjustment of the recoil spring.

Lead filled former light could work or get a frame weight like what Tori runs. I would do everything else first as that might not be needed

Here is one set up

http://teamsigsauer.com/sig-sauer-p320-uspsa-limited-production/

I am filling the gap inside the magwell with epoxied in lead and have a magwell on the way that I will attach to a grip frame. He used a tungsten mag well but my first go at this will use aluminum due to cost.

The DAA race master holster now supports the P320 if needed.

I would get a GGI fat guide rod to add some more weight and allow adjustment of the recoil spring.

Lead filled former light could work or get a frame weight like what Tori runs. I would do everything else first as that might not be needed

Yeah, I saw that page. He doesn't say what parts he's using. Where are you getting your mag well or are you having one made special?

I have someone who can make me a tungsten guide rod. The gap inside the Magwell your talking about, are you referring to that the half circle shaped recess up the length of the grip?

Also, is attaching weights to your rail legal in limited. I found something like these online: https://www.deltapdesign.com/accessories/rail-weights/rail-weight-single.html#tab-1

He is using a tungsten grams magwell for an STI. I am not sure that you can find those any more so for the time being I am trying this with an EGW aluminum mag well. I also have successfully built up a mag well out of epoxy but it isn't nearly a clean as this would be. Getting the STI magwell on will require some obvious modification to a grip frame including some epoxy work. If it works out well I might consider a stainless steel or heavier STI type magwell but anything heavier than aluminum costs more than I want to spend for an experiment.

I am taking about filling that gap inside the magwell. I have done that on several Production guns and in a large grip frame I can pretty easily add an ounce with lead shot and epoxy. I have some fishing weights on the way to see how those work and might even just epoxy in four 147gr BBI bullets along with some shot next time around depending on how well the other stuff fits in. If that doesn't work well I may eventually just melt some lead and make a more exact slug to fit in that space that would then be epoxied over.

Reports I have heard are that the P320 in .40 shoots pretty soft anyway so I don't know how much weight you would need to add but I have enjoyed testing various grip mods to see how far we can push the platform.

Regarding magazines I get 23 rounds of 9mm in the Taylor Freelance basepads.

Here is the test grip frame I have been messing around with for 3 Gun. I will be starting a new one in the next few weeks once the magwell gets delivered.
I also have a X300 tac light that will add 4 Oz out front and a holster is being made. I need that to run a night 3 Gun match in September but if I like it I might keep the light out front for weight at other 3 Gun matches where allowed.

http://i.imgur.com/z7TJ4oih.jpg

z7TJ4oih.jpg

Edited by alma

A 1"x1"x3" brass weight machined to clamp on the full size rail would add approx. 14.57 ounces to the grip module. It would also not add to the thickness of the gun. I'd have to see if my friend and I could machine one in his shop. He says brass would be easiest to machine.

I do agree with the P320 being soft shooting already in .40sw. I was at the range today and alternated 9mm and .40 slides shooting 10rounds each time. Both caliber bullets were factory tula steel cased. The .40sw felt flatter/less snappy than the 9mm. A friend of mine had the same observation when he tried.

If the stock magazine holds 14 .40sw and 17 9mm. How many do you think it would hold with the Taylor Freelance mag bases in .40 if your getting 23 rounds of 9mm?

Do you know if the STI magwell fits over the grip? Could you drill a hole where the lanyard loop is and pin the magwell to the grip that way?

The 9mm slide in quite a bit lighter which might explain the difference. More lightening cuts inside the 9 slide.

The idea would be to cut fit the grip frame for the STI magwell and drill down hole to pin it. I just picked up a stainless magwell off of the classifieds for $55 so I will have an alternative option to the aluminum.

My advice would be to order another grip frame module or two for the experiments.

I currently have two full size, a compact, and a subcompact grip. I switched between carrrying compact in .357sig and subcompact 9mm. I was planning on making my 9mm fullsize slide and one full size grip into a Production or Production Optics gun, and making my .40sw full slide and the other grip into a limited gun. I was going to order another full grip or two to play around with if necissary.

How much cutting is needed to get it to fit? When you get the stainless attached can you post some pictures of the process and final result?

The used stainless steel magwell arrived and It will work but some material will definitely need to be built up around the base to make it fit well. The rearmost part of the backstrap will also have to be shortened a bit.

It looks like this will work pretty well on a Large grip frame. A medium grip frame is about .2" too short front to back. It will still work but will need a bit more material added. For this type of work I am using Devcon 290 since it's black and drys fairly fast. On my other grip work I prefer marine epoxy since it gives me more time to work with it. I am taking pictures and will post the process once I get something worth showing.

Here is the magwell frame I have been working on. Just need to confirm that the taylor freelance fit right and then I will drill and pin it.

Scott Springer also announced that he is putting out some mag wells including a 6 oz brass mag well. They are a modification off of his XDM mag wells and will require you to modify the grip frame to install.

fR0izoy.jpg

Edited by alma

How did you end up with the severely melted frame in the lower right picture?

It's not melted. It's Devcon 290 black epoxy. That is step one for me to build on the front and the sides to blent with the STI magwell.

It would have been much easier to fit the magwell on first and then just epoxy into the gaps with the magwell already in place. This would have an added benefit of better securing the magwell but it would also make it a permanent fixture on this grip. I wasn't ready to make that commitment yet so...

The bottom right is the first picture with my initial application of the epoxy. Bottom left I shaved down the excess and once that was removed I added more epoxy which was again shaved down for the third picture on the middle right. I did that a few more times to get the basic form you see on the top left. This stuff actually cleans up very well and you will not be able to tell that the gun didn't come like that once I am finished. It just takes some time to make it pretty when my first priority was just to see whether it would work.

Would it work to use a glass bedding compound and a release agent on the magwell? Similar to what a friend of mine did to glass bed one of my rifles. I think he used Devcon Plastic Steel Putty.

Would it work to use a glass bedding compound and a release agent on the magwell? Similar to what a friend of mine did to glass bed one of my rifles. I think he used Devcon Plastic Steel Putty.

No idea. I am winging it here.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info! I can see why you suggested having 3 or so grips to modify, lol. Seems alittle messy for my taste. I'm still trying to figure out a cleaner more purpose made solution. Did Springer say how much modification would be involved?

I have the P320 in 9mm FS and 357-Sig FS. The 9mm slide has some serious cuts on the inside to lighten it, the 357 does not. 9mm barrel fits in 357 slide and cycles by hand with no problem. I wonder if I changed the 1911 slings on my Springer guide rod to the right weight... Would it be less snappy?

I've done that. I'm just curious about the feel difference between reciprocating mass (the slide weight) vs resistance (spring tension weight). They should both be able to achieve the same results, but I bet they feel different.

Edited by Scrmblr

Well my limited gun is pretty complete, going to shoot it tomorrow.

Started with my Team SIG gun which as the GGI Competition Action Package.

Added a SIG P320 40S&W Xchange kit that GGI milled for an adjustable sight with a Dawson 0.100" W front sight.

GGI FAT Guide Rod with a 17lb Wolff 1911 Recoil Spring

Standard Medium Grip Module with the Springer Precision Open Brass Mag Well

Springer Precision 0.375" Base Pad with the SP locking plates

Still waiting on Springer Precision Grip Tape, and the Springer Precision extended magazine release (they were out of stock when I passed by this afternoon).

The gun with the Taylor Freelance 0.375" with the stock locking plates weighted 2lbs 5.8oz. I think the SP stuff I will be using it will be a little over 2lbs 6oz, which is damn close to a STI.

Pictures and range report to come. I left it at GGI, as it wouldn't fit in the gun case I was going to take to the place where I am staying near Spray.