Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA Production gun at Half Cock holstered with safety off = DQ?

CHA-LEE

Competitive advantage over whom? The guy with a decocker that goes to 1/2 cock? The guy with a Glock and a trigger job (technically also starting from 1/2 cock)?

Would you feel just as safe if the hammer slipped off of your thumb at 1/2 cock with your finder holding the trigger back?

Is it safer to lower the hammer (on a DA/SA selective gun) all the way? or is 1/2 cock in any way safer

Please note, I am kind of splitting hairs here, the main point being, I don't think you gain an advantage, and that being the case, why not allow 1/2 cock? Unless it is not at least as safe as dropping the hammer all the way down, I don't see a reason to drop to the lowest position.

Reading the link posted above, apparently weapons have gone off going to hammer fully down (yes, 100% their fault). why not eliminate as much of that as possible?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not that I don't feel safe....just that I feel safer going to 1/2 cock.

There is no real competitive advantage gained from what I can see, why not do all we can to be as safe as we can?

Nothing to do with competitive advantage.

Folks are missing the obvious.... A gun WITHOUT a DECOCKER is not designed to be carried with the hammer at halfcock.

A gun WITH a decocker that drops the hammer to halfcock is the way the gun is designed to function.

A gun WITH a decocker that drops the hammer completely is not designed to have the hammer carried at halfcock.

Edited by lcs

Manually lowering the hammer to half cock has the exact same AD opportunity as putting the hammer all the way down. In both cases you have to hold the hammer back, pull the trigger, and lower the hammer slowly to a predetermined position. If the hammer slips out of your fingers during your "Half Cock" lowering process it will AD because you are still pulling the trigger back far enough to clear the hammer hooks. If the sear is lifted enough to clear the hammer hooks its also lifted enough to clear the half cock.

Every gun has a unique trigger function and accompanied requirements per division. If YOU choose to shoot a gun that YOU don't feel safe with the trigger function required to use it in Production then why on earth are YOU using that gun in the first place????

There is no real competitive advantage gained from what I can see, why not do all we can to be as safe as we can?

Folks are missing the obvious.... A gun WITHOUT a DECOCKER is not designed to be carried with the hammer at halfcock.

Why not? Why have a 1/2 cock position if it is not designed to be used?

Please know that I am honestly asking, not trying to be difficult or a jerk.

As far as safety is concerned, I'd feel just as safe at 1/2 cock as I would at hammer fully down (obviously not w/ a single action gun)

If competitive advantage has nothing to do with it, and it is not more dangerous, why not allow it?

Again, it's not that I don't feel safe doing it, I would just feel safER going to 1/2.

At 1/2 cock One can still have some finger/thumb between the hammer and pin.

I'd feel safe if everyone was loaded walking around (hell, you'd think a gun range is where you would find the safest gun handlers, vs. the carrying public), but we feel safER with everyone with a dropped hammer on an empty chamber with no mag in the gun....safER.

Again, not wanting to be argumentative, but being we've just been told there is no competitive advantage, and it is exactly as safe as a full drop, why have the rule?

Edited by IronArcher

Why not? Why have a 1/2 cock position if it is not designed to be used

In most guns the half cock notch is a safety encase the hammer slips of the full cock notch, that is it's function it's not supposed to be used as a intermediate position.

On decocker CZs the notch is used but that is no do for all guns, I know decocker Tanfoglios drop the hammer all the way.

Also the CZ shadows and pre B models do not have a FPB so to answer your earlier question yes there are guns on the approved list without FPB safeties.

Good to know! Thanx!

If there are guns that can be placed in 1/2 cock position that don't have passive safeties, I can then understand the reason for the rule as it could on SOME guns it could be less safe if somehow it could come off of 1/2 cock without pulling the trigger.

Let me give you a hint that will carry you far in the shooting sparts my fellow Unicorn rider...

Some of the rules might seem dumb. Learn them all anyway and don't worry so much about them. Or better yet, learn them and then use that knowledge to beat them.

Edited by waktasz