Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improve Accuracy at Speed

QuickMick

Till March I worked on accuracy, then more on getting faster so the time for a Bill drill dropped down to less than 3s. Match analysis show that I shoot less A (76% compared to 84%) at that speed. While results are getting better, I need to improve accuracy but keep the pace. Any idea for my training?

In Practice shoot as fast as you can. Do not sweat the points. Fast fast fast then just before your match that last practice shoot A's. Track you times when you are in speed mode. Track you A's when you are shooting points. You can only train one or the other at a time, never both at the same time. Then at the match call every shot. Good luck..

Interesting thread.

First a Bill Drill around 2 seconds is the goal.

Next, try Robbie's Action Target Drill-YouTube it.

The dot drill is awesome. Par time adds a good twist to it.

Seeklander has a phrase "Controlled Chaos". I like it. I was getting complacent in my movement and speed. So I decided last match to blast. Move fast. Sure I got some Mikes but my speed was faster than a M class or just as fast. Getting out of your comfort zone is critical for improvement.

No matter what I do in a practice session I always end with an accuracy drill which requires looking at the front sight. I want embed the sight picture in my subconscious.

You have to push the speed in practice-out of your comfort zone- but always dial back to accuracy. Consistency + Repeatability = Success (Max's Mantra)

In Practice shoot as fast as you can. Do not sweat the points. Fast fast fast then just before your match that last practice shoot A's. Track you times when you are in speed mode. Track you A's when you are shooting points. You can only train one or the other at a time, never both at the same time. Then at the match call every shot. Good luck..

I like this advice.

• 3 months later...

I like this advice.

I can't take credit for this, Steve Anderson is the man I heard it from.

One reason I like the advice to shoot fast during practice is that we have to learn how it feels to shoot fast, even if our accuracy breaks down, and obviously matches are not where we want to try shooting faster than ever; practice is the place for it. I think a big part of it is you want to watch everything and learn from what's happening. Your brain will put it together over time and you'll figure out how to improve accuracy at your faster speeds.

This doesn't preclude other segments of practice where you slow things down and dissect what you're doing. I learn a lot from doing that.

Then, back in match mode, think precision, crispness, fluidity, efficiency.

My best classifier stage so far, I was thinking one thing. It was "visual clarity."