Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recent travel - oversized?

Looking for any info from folks that have recently traveled with the over the limit 62" total length and if they were charged oversixed fees? Flying to my first match, FNH, through United and oversized fees are $200 each way, more than my round trip ticket!

I've never been charged oversize fees for the long gun case. Probably 50 some odd flights to three gun matches around the country. Overweight, every now and then. Mine seems to run about 50-53 pounds depending on what guns I bring. Usually get hit with the overweight fee about 10% of the time I actually am.

From what I've learned is that there is no consistency to it. I got charged for overweight once at 53 on the way out, put a gun I won in there and some other stuff and didn't get charged on the way home at 72.

Be prepared to pay it, if they don't charge you it's a bonus.

Alaska doesn't care about size on "sporting goods cases", but if you overshoot 52lbs and it says 52.5, you get the overweight fee. Any other piece of luggage that is not classified as "sporting goods" has to follow size policy. They are also the only airline I am aware of that will let you use the entire 50 lb limit on ammo. I once checked one of the green plastic ammo cans stuffed to the top with ammo (47lbs total) and just slapped a padlock on it and wrapped it with duct tape in case they dropped it. No problem. But, all of Alaska's baggage policies are easily printed from their website, so all you have to do is print out relevant pages before you go to the airport in case you run into an idiot. I prefer Alaska whenever possible, due to the prevailing pro-sportsman attitude of their management to this point.