Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light or heavy bullets?

Jake60

I'm looking for opinions on this. I can't really find much on light bullets (eg 90gr)

Power factor isn't a requirement.

I'm currently ruining a 147 SnS with 2.9gr Titegroup from a xdm 5.25 and a RIA 1911. Both run great and are getting over 125pf.

What I'm wanting to do is have my kids shoot pins and plates with me.

I'd think a 90gr bullet going slow would shoot softer than a 147?

I'd assume I'd have to run 10lb or less recoil spring.

any opinions on running super light loads?

I've always stuck by the book for the most part.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Edited by Jake60

I've never gone lower than 115's, but I get them down around PF 105

and they are FUN to shoot, even out of my Kel-Tec P11 (9 ounces). :cheers:

I just use a Very Tiny amount of ww231 or Red Dot and reload down

low as my springs will function (don't want to change springs).

But, if you change springs, you should be able to get down around PF95

or so - but, try the PF 105 first - you just might Love Them, like I do. :cheers:

I'm interested in this as well. I'm pretty happy with our 3.3gr WSF/147gr Bayou for Steel Challenge, but I'd like an alternate load that uses a different poweder "just in case". HS-6 seems to be relatively available right now and I do have 8 lbs; I'm inclined to try this with 130gr and see how it shoots. Also have HP-38 and when I get time I'd like to see how low I can go with 115gr or 124gr. We're shooting 9mm 1911s FWIW.

For steel challenge I run a 100gr Ibejihead SWC over 3.4gr of titegroup out of a XDM 5.25. You need a broken in 14lb recoil spring for that to work, I also have a lower power striker spring as part of my powder river trigger kit, that may help as well. You also need to maintain a pretty firm grip, not because of recoil, but the gun needs a solid base to work against to function. Not much more recoil than a .22, makes about a 109 PF. This load is also pretty accurate. I tried a 95 gr RN bullet one time but no matter the load I couldnt get any kind of decent accuracy out of them, looked like shotgun patterning. Probably not enough bearing surface on those to work well.

Thanks guys.

I ordered some 115's and 100gr swc to play with.

It'll be fun to try and get the swc to run in my 1911, the xdm eats anything.

What's the slowest you all would feel safe running them, without fear of sticking in the barrel?

Plus, it's always fun to shoot super slow plated in well lit areas since calling shots is a joke due to the ability to literally watch the bullet to impact lol

For shooting steel a 124gr at like 110 or 115pf is a blast through a 1911 with a fairly soft recoil spring btw lol

Edited by tcazes

To be honest, I really haven't found a load my xdm doesn't like.

I normally get my oal, load a few different charges, chronograph them. Pick the PF I was looking for, and they all shoot well.

At 10 yards, they'll clover leaf, at 25 easily 3-4 inches, with me shooting.

Well since I'm still waiting on my Ibejiheads order, I started toying with 147. From 2.9 - 2.5.

2.5 still operating with stock springs fine. With 2.5 TG still running 118pf. Much softer than the 130s I normally run.

So I've now loaded some at 2.2 and 2.0. Will test them tomorrow.

It's insane how little powder this is. My lock-out die is worthless at this point.

There's no pressure issue or anything I should worry about going this low, is there?

I'm seating as long as I can.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you go with too small a charge and load out real long there is a lot of empty space in the cartridge. You will get uneven lighting of the powder and uneven combustion meaning big variations in velocity and accuracy.