Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

heavy barrels

Huck

Does anybody shoot a heavy barrel for tactical, What are your thoughts on barrel weight? I know a lighter barrel swings better and is easier to carry, but a heavy settles better for the long shots. Are there any downsides except for swing speed to worry about, besides cool points?

I have both a 20 inch futon armory heavy barrel which I use in matches were I know there will be 200 yard plus shots. I also have a 16 inch armalite light barrel for matches that I know are not long and more movement is required. I 20 inch barrel is a tack driver at the longer distances. I have not really noticed a lot of difference with the heavy barrel on the quicker moment stages and if I had any doubts about what I might be facing I would use the heavy barrel.

I started shooting IPSC rifle with an HBAR and added weight to the buttstock and under the handguard until it weighed in at almost 15 lbs. It shot OK, or so I thought.

Next AR I put into service, I discovered the magic of a muzzle brake which allowed me to trim dry weight to just under 12 lbs. It still had a heavy barrel and I still weighted the buttstock to reduce cycle impulse.

Now I use a JP with a real light bbl, a much better muzzle brake and the lightweight bolt carrier system to reduce the cycle impulse. It weighs in at a little under 8lbs. The JP is perfect on any type of course and is absolutely the best handling AR I have ever used (so far).

Next time I build an AR up, it will be even lighter if possible. A lightweight AR handles way better if you have the mods needed to stabilize it during the recoil impulse (adjustable gas block, good muzzle brake and JP lo-mass bolt carrier system).

--

Regards,

Much like pistols it depends on where you like your gun to balance at. Lots like the Hbar barrel because it moves the balance point forward. The one inch bull barrels move it way forward.

Accuracy does not seem related to barrel weight especially for free floating barrels.