Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Was USPSA Formed?

d_striker

IPSC created in 1976. USPSA formed as the US Region of IPSC in 1981, then incorporated in 1984.

Why was it even formed in the first place rather than just continuing to shoot IPSC?

Edited by d_striker

Each region has its own organization, in the UK it's UKPSA, other countries have their own names. Each association is a member of the Confederation (IPSC).

Do those regions in the UK and other countries have their own rulebook?

Each region has its own organization, in the UK it's UKPSA, other countries have their own names. Each association is a member of the Confederation (IPSC).

Do those regions in the UK and other countries have their own rulebook?

I think USPSA is the only region that has its own rulebook, but every USPSA club can host IPSC matches under the IPSC rulebook of they wish. There is an IPSC Nationals each year in USA that is shot under those rules.

Someone could write a book on how all this happened. Suffice to say there were strong differences of opinion between IPSC and USPSA, each region regardless of size and membership has only a single vote within the IPSC organization. With differing views on how the sport should proceed, some kind of compromise had to be reached.

That compromise was that USPSA could use its own rulebook but allow IPSC matches to be run in USA (I'm a little vague on all the finer points of this).

Edit to add this:

There was a reference to this agreement in the latest BOD Minutes. My understanding is that this agreement needs to be renewed shortly:

IPSC Status Report

BOD recommends USPSA President exercise his IPSC RD duties and meet with IPSC President at the upcoming General Assembly to attempt to renew our Agreement Memorandum.
Edited by BritinUSA

I think I'm starting to understand the relationship.

What I still don't understand is why we have an entirely different rulebook and completely different divisions in the US.

probably because ipsc rules are dumb and not as fun. :devil:

Edited by motosapiens

What I still don't understand is why we have an entirely different rulebook and completely different divisions in the US.

Some people in the rest of the world believe the same thing...........................about USPSA rules. :devil: :devil:

Some people in the rest of the world believe the same thing...........................about USPSA rules. :devil: :devil:

Those people think chicks with hairy legs are cool too, and taking the bus.

You have to go back in time, way back.... a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. When Bill Wilson, Doug Koenig, and Rob Leatham were still in high school.

IPSC was founded at a conference held in Columbia, Missouri, in May 1976. Practical shooting enthusiasts from around the world participated, creating a constitution and establishing the rules governing the sport.[1][2] Jeff Cooper served as the first IPSC President.

Before IPSC, there were action pistol matches run by Col Cooper. Everyone wore short shorts, ran a 1911 from a leather holster, had 2 sticks on the weak side facing opposite.

image37037.jpg

There is a patchwork of gun laws across this nation and a similar patchwork across the rest of the world though their's are far more restrictive.

Add to that problem the unique culture of the United States (what I prefer to call American Exceptionalism), trying to connect that to these more restrictive cultures is like trying to put a square peg into a round hedgehog… its never going to end well.

Edited by BritinUSA

You have to go back in time, way back.... a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. When Bill Wilson, Doug Koenig, and Rob Leatham were still in high school.

None of those guys were in high school at the same time--they are in three different age brackets. By 1977, Wilson was already in the gun business, Leatham was just learning to drive, and Koenig was still a grade school kid.