Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 issues

soundlzrd

So I have been loading for just under a year on my 550. I have successfully loaded 38 and 9mm. I'm using lee dies, small pistol primer brass, titegroup and bayou 230 grn.

I set the dies up, except the Dillion powder die, lee lee instructions. The Dillion powder funnel was set up like I had on the 9mm where I also use Bayou bullets. However, I think I added too much flare which caused a clunk when I tried to seat the bullet. I also get two clunks when I run the cartridge through the factory crimp die. Things got better when I backed the flare out, and now it almost passed the case gauge, but now I am shaving the coating off the bullet. 8bc439d1558b1b732c1110aef9aa4643.jpg1af1accf43143ef39e5d370910f463e7.jpg

Thoughts on what to try next?

Thank you

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough to see, but it looks like you need more flare to stop shaving the bullet. Coated bullets need more flare. Check your dies to be sure they are clean. If you have any coating from the bullet or brassing from the brass, it will stick and cause the clunk noise and a jerking of the handle.

It's a close thing sometimes. If I flare enough to not shave the playing on extreme bullets sometimes then the case will sometimes wack the edge of the seating die if the alignment when I rotate isn't just right. For me I had to back the flare off a bit and make sure everything is clean so it's indexing correctly. It's a fine line for me, using exact same setup as you.

I have no problem on the crimp die though. Also might try living your cases I found that helps to

Red

I usually load up my shell plate and pull the handle down to seat all the stations and loosen each die just enough to center the die and then tighten back down. This seems to eliminate any misalignment for me.

Edited by tires2burn

A Mr Bulletfeeder powder funnel will cure your problem. URL: http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/

Email Rick and get a price. rick@mrbulletfeeder.com If memory serves it is about $35.

Or, buy it here. http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/Mr.BulletFeeder-by-DAA-Powder-Funnel-for-Pistol.html

It replaces your Dillon powder funnel. Adjust it so that you get the most minute flare, or none at all.The two step expander enlares the case mouth just enough to let the bullet insert. The bullet stands straight up and you seat it without scraping plating or poly off. IMO, it is worth its weight in gold.

It seems you went from too much flare, to not enough.

You shouldn't need different dies or powder funnel, just get the flare adjusted properly, as it takes very minor adjustments..

I just did some checking and the Lee FCD is about .003" smaller in diameter than the Dillon crimp die. (on .40 cal)

The Dillon die would be less likely to "clunk" when passing over the flare than the Lee.

I use Dillon dies and have never had shaving problems in 9, .40, or .45.

At lunch today I got a chance to read through this forum a bit more. Opening up my search to just Dies, I was able to find I am not the only one to have this issue. I am thinking of ordering new dies as I have now experianced this issue on two machines with different flaring dies.

I am thinking about a Dillion seating and a Dillion crimp. Any reason I should get something else?

Played some more with dummy rounds when I got home from work. Was able to get the rounds to drop in, but when crimping I noticed brass shavings. I also noted my neck measurements go from .472 to .471 at the neck to .473 above the brass on the bullet.

I tried to take a video by my phone feel over when the round clunked up into the FCD.

Edited by soundlzrd

FWIW there shouldn't be any clunking going on. The FCD is a collet type and starts to closes as the brass is already in the collet. It stills sounds like you have a die adjustment problem. My measurements stay fairly consistent at .471 from the base of the bullet to the edge of the case. Are you saying that the bullet is measuring .473 after the edge of the brass. The bullet diameter is wider that the brass? :surprise:

If I'm not mistaken, my .40 "Bulge Buster" used a Lee FCD and it is a fixed diameter die.

I just took a .40 case, flared it, and then passed the flared case through the "Bulge Buster". The flare firmly contacted the mouth of the die and when pushed through the flare was reduced to the diameter of the rest of the case.

Young eyes that's correct on the size. I agree with you in die setup, but in at a loss. Added crimp is all that allows it to fit in the gauge. As far as the bullet being bigger, could the brass be folding in the gas check?

TDA, sounds like what mine is doing?

Why are you using a gas check. If you don't had the correct bullet for a gas check then that's your problem. Load without the gas check. Let me please see a picture of just the bullet.

OK. Let's backtrack. The bullet is at most a .452. If it is bulging out to .473 something is squeezing the heck out of it, or the bullets are way wrong. What is the diameter of an unused bullet. Remeasure after you seat it. Remeasure after crimp. What load of powder are you using? Could you be compressing the load? Check that you are using the correct powder funnel.

FWIW there shouldn't be any clunking going on. The FCD is a collet type and starts to closes as the brass is already in the collet. It stills sounds like you have a die adjustment problem. My measurements stay fairly consistent at .471 from the base of the bullet to the edge of the case. Are you saying that the bullet is measuring .473 after the edge of the brass. The bullet diameter is wider that the brass? :surprise:

The FCD for pistol rounds does not use a collet. It had a sizing ring in the base and otherwise acts as a standard tape crimp die.

The first clunk is probably the flared mouth hitting the sizing ring. The second is the floating crimp ring hitting the aluminum plug used to adjust the crimp in a pistol FCD.

Edited by peterthefish