Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming new brass?

Getting ready to convert my press this afternoon. It occured to me to measure my new brass.  The new cases are .848", within a couple thou of the max case length listed in my Hornady manual. Any potential problems with just loading it up?

Additional info: Gun is a Glock model 22 with an aftermarket match barrel. I'm making softball loads with 180gr flatpoints and universal clays.

The 40 headspases on the mouth of the chamber, so I believe if it chambers and the gun goes to battery, you'll be fine. You ARE under the length, just close right?

Again, I'll defer to others who are more experienced, but I can't imagine that Starline brass needs to be sized before loading.

Agreed-- the only pistol cartrige I've seen get longer after repeated loadings was my bottleneck 9x25 (that's not to say .357 Sig & 7.62x25 and all don't, just that I've never loaded them). Straight-wall pistol cartriges never seem to need trimming. And I like it that way.

For semi-auto rimless or semirimmed cases trimming is un-neccessary from new. If they are new and grossly out of size, I would then put those aside and get some more. If you land up with a fair amount of brass from a lot that is out of spec I would contact the manufacturer. They will want to know.

I only trim rifle cases and then only after firing them in the firearm. No point in doing it first as they will move the maximum amount on the first shot.

I once tried trimming 500 38Spl brass for my NRA Revolver and found that it affected the accuracy so little, with me shooting the beast, that I decided that with the likely onset of some kind of mania, this was unwarranted.

Even for those anal enough to want to trim pistol cases, Bluemeanie mentioned he's shooting a Glock 22..... I wouldn't worry about dimensions to much, those chambers are so oversize it shouldn't matter.  :)

Blue,

As many before have stated, no need to trim.

But, be aware that new brass, especialy Starline, has a little burr edge on the casemouth. It will cause it to stick on the flaring/belling part of the powder drop. Nothing is wrong, just new cases. After you have fired them once, they will lose that burr and load just fine, assuming that you are picking them up

And if you aren't, where do you shoot ?

Once again, the board comes through. I had no idea the cases would actually get shorter. Since they're 2 thou shorter than max, I should be golden. I hand-cycled a few through the gun, and once my shooting buddy shows up, I'm off to test the dozen rounds I've loaded so far.  I tested a couple of rounds for setback, and all was cool.

I decided to switch to 6.4 grs of AA #5, and I'll report this evening when I get back.