Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with my Stock II and win primers

tbarker13

So I thought I would give Winchester Small Pistol primers a try tonight, just to see if I could use something other than Federals.

What a disaster.

Both of my guns run flawlessly with Federals. Several thousand rounds so far. But when I tried out the Winchesters, I was getting 1 or 2 light strikes out of every 10 rounds I fired tonight at the range.

My setup on both guns:

Titan Hammer

Henning Gen 3 extended firing pin

X-treme light hammer spring

X-treme light firing pin spring

I realize I could use heavier springs, but I like the way the gun feels now. Guess I'll just stick with Federals.

But I'm just wondering if anyone else has had success with non Federal primers - and lighter springs.

As a test, cock the hammer, hold the hammer back with thumb, squeeze trigger while continuing to hold hammer back with thumb, depress the FP with a punch and make sure the FP isn't contacting the FPB and slowing down the FP from striking the primer.

My S2 lights off CCI with no problems with the same configuration you have.

As a test, cock the hammer, hold the hammer back with thumb, squeeze trigger while continuing to hold hammer back with thumb, depress the FP with a punch and make sure the FP isn't contacting the FPB and slowing down the FP from striking the primer.

My S2 lights off CCI with no problems with the same configuration you have.

Tried that but I don't feel any connection between the FPB and firing pin.

Weird. I've got your same setup with the EGD firing pin in my stock III, and it lights off winchesters. I just have to make sure I seat the primers firmly. I've also run freedom munitions rounds with cci primers, and I get the occasional light primer strike with those.

I've wondered about primer depth. I use a Dillon 650, so I can't adjust it like you can with a 1050.

Either way, I don't think there's anything I can do about it. I don't notice anything different when I compare my loads with Win primers versus the loads with Federal primers. So if there is a difference, I don't think it's pronounced enough for me to reliably filter out the ones that won't ignite.

Henning guide rod and 8lb recoil spring

Henning gen 4 FP & reduced power FP spring

Titan hammer & Xtreme light hammer spring

Xtreme disconnector

1 piece sear

CGW light trigger return spring

Henning light plunger spring

Sets off Win SPP no problem

Noob here on this subject, but here's my two cents. I like Winchester's space saving packaging compared to Federal's. I have a limited area to store reloading supplies and the Federals take up so much room compared to the Winchester that I've been giving away Federal Large Pistol primers to a bro-in-law. I think an extended firing pin is probably a good idea as it seems like everyone runs one, but I wonder whether this search for the lightest springs competition is kind of self defeating.

I have a 650 and although you cant adjust seating depth on the primers, the primer plunger thing that screws in from the underside of the plate can work its self loose. Check and make sure that it is all the way screwed in and tight.

I've put about 3.5k CCI through my S2 without a single light strike.

EGD light springs and factory firing pin can light Federals too. And factory ext 0.508" FPS works 100% with one piece sear and Titan hammer too. Drop in EGD medium spring with everything above and it lights off CCI all day.

I had damn near the same set up in my limpro and it works with win and federal no problem. I went to a gen 4 pin and cci on down are now 100%

You need to seat your primers deeper, if they are flush it to high.