Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI EDGE .40 S&W Conversion

bret

Can a 9mm barrel be fitted to a .40 S&W Edge?

I have heard of people easily going from a .40 S&W to 9mm in a Glock 35 by swapping the barrel, recoil spring and magazines.

I know the Breach face is larger on a .40 S&W than a 9mm, but I have heard if you want to go from 9mm to .40 S&W you have to open the breach face.

So I thought it would be nice for 3 gun to have a 9mm Edge but also have it in .40 S&W for USPSA.

Yes that is what they told me. I was referring g to a drop in barrel working. I should've clarified. And it's 60% of the msrp to buy a top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think about the mechanics of what you're asking. A 9mm case rim is smaller than a .40 case rim by a significant amount. The issue that leaves you with is that the extractor does not sit close enough to center to properly hold onto the case rim, and the case will not sit on the breach face properly. You'd end up with all kinds of failures to extract or eject as the round slid around on the breach face. A new top end is going to be your only option.

Think about the mechanics of what you're asking. A 9mm case rim is smaller than a .40 case rim by a significant amount. The issue that leaves you with is that the extractor does not sit close enough to center to properly hold onto the case rim, and the case will not sit on the breach face properly. You'd end up with all kinds of failures to extract or eject as the round slid around on the breach face. A new top end is going to be your only option.

On a Glock. 40 S&W, such as a G22 or G35, you replace the barrel,recoil spring and magazines, now you can shoot 9mm, even with the larger breach face.

I have heard of people having a 9mm barrel fitted to an STI Edge. 40 S&W and changing the extractor, recoil spring and magazines.

Was looking for that option, no big deal if it isn't feasible, I can just buy another gun.

I have done it to many 1911/2011s. Just have a barrel fit and tune your extracter and your good to go. Been doing it for years.

Fascinating. How exactly does that work? When a round is stripped out of the magazine, in order for it to slide up under the extractor hook, doesn't the opposite (left) side of the rim have to ride up the left wall of the breech? A .40 upper would allow a 9mm round to shift to the left until it contacts the breech wall which would put the round off center for feeding and also during extraction wouldn't it? In other words, a .40 round in a .40 gun centers between the breech wall on the left and the extractor on the right, which centers it on the barrel. A 9mm round in a .40 gun is going to slide to the left as it clears the magazine until the extractor pushes the left side of the rim up against the breech wall, leaving it slightly off center.

I'm not doubting you at all, I just wouldn't think this would operate reliably. That said, I have accidentally shot a couple of 9mm rounds out of a .40 XDM. The gun eventually failed to cycle after a few rounds though, because the extractor let go of the case rim.

Do I have this wrong?

One of our local shooters fit a 9mm barrel in his 40cal. edge several years back for 3 gun and steel matches and it still runs reliably. He changes the extractor with the barrel when he does the swap. I was told some time back that Kimber uses the same size breach face for both calibers in their guns. I never have verified that to be sure. I think as long as you are using a ramped barrel it would work fine with a properly tuned extractor.

I think I read that Benny Hill of TSS used to do a barrel/extractor swap for some of his customers back in the early 2000's. The FP just strikes higher on the primer if I'm not mistaken.

I called STI direct and they said no. The breech face size is the hang up. Now maybe that's the corporate answer I'm not sure.

In general: 40 to 9mm conversion barrels can be dropped into SOME guns with relatively good reliability, but they are ones with pivoting extractors that have enough range of motion to accomodate the fact the 40 breech face will be about .020" larger than it should be for a 9mm.

A 1911 has an extractor that is basically fixed position so it can't accomodate it with good extraction reliability.

Edited by bountyhunter

Think about the mechanics of what you're asking. A 9mm case rim is smaller than a .40 case rim by a significant amount. The issue that leaves you with is that the extractor does not sit close enough to center to properly hold onto the case rim, and the case will not sit on the breach face properly.

You can bend the extractor so it applies enough tension with the gun in battery because that "force centers" the round on the breech face. However, as the slide pulls out of battery, the tapered 9mm case allows it to become free and twist so you lose extractor tension. As stated previously, in guns where the extractor pivots under a spring load, the extractor can clamp the rim against the breech face as it pulls out and hold some tension but a stock 1911 extractor can't move far enough to do it.

Edited by bountyhunter

I have done it to many 1911/2011s. Just have a barrel fit and tune your extracter and your good to go. Been doing it for years.

Fascinating. How exactly does that work? When a round is stripped out of the magazine, in order for it to slide up under the extractor hook, doesn't the opposite (left) side of the rim have to ride up the left wall of the breech? A .40 upper would allow a 9mm round to shift to the left until it contacts the breech wall which would put the round off center for feeding and also during extraction wouldn't it? In other words, a .40 round in a .40 gun centers between the breech wall on the left and the extractor on the right, which centers it on the barrel.

The bore of the barrel throat actually aligns the round to the breech face in battery so if there is too much clearance around the rim (as is the case with a 9mm round on a 40 slide) that centers it. As it pulls out of battery, you lose that effect and so the case gets loose and can slip the extractor.

On guns where this happens, many will still cycle and extract most of the time but not 100%.

It's been 10 years plus and quite a few 1911/2011s later and not once have I had an issue. Maybe on paper this does not work but trust me it does. Would not hesitate to do another.