Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder should I use?

daustin777

I have some 9mm - 125gr (.356") round nose bevel base from Shooter's Cast Bullets. What's a good powder to use to reduce leading?

I've got Unique, Bullseye, 231, Clays, Titegroup, & HS-6 to choose from. Of the powders listed above which would be the best to use?

Unless you enjoy standing behind the billowing smoke of a civil war cannon while you shoot TG would not be my first choice with plain cast lead. Out of your list of powders for minor velocities, Clays and 231 looks like a winner to me.

The best cure for leading really isn't powder but bullet to barrel size.

Slug your barrel and be .002 bigger with your bullet size.

You can also play with bullet hardness BHN# , some don't like it to soft or to hard.

First, powder has almost NO effect on leading. Fit and lube is everything. Most leading is due to folks using commercial bullets that are WAY too hard and slightly too small. In almost all cases, getting bullets that are 11-15 BHN would be a big help. Then, offering 0.357" instead of 0.356" for default size would solve almost all problems--it really helps to cast your own.

As stated above, slug barrel and use a bullet at least 0.001" larger than actual groove diameter. I find that 0.357-0.358" lead bullets work great in all my 9x19s, except one BHP with a groove diameter of 0.359".

TiteGroup, due to burning so hot, will often be inaccurate with lead and coated bullets and can really smoke from lube and coating combustion, so it isn't my choice if smoke is an issue to you.

Bullseye and Unique have been the first choices for lead bullets for about 100 years.

For 9x19, you would have a hard time getting a more accurate powder than Power Pistol; though BE-86, Silhouette, and True Blue can be close.

Of the powders you have, you can play with all of them, but 231/HP38 and HS6 would be the first I would look at for general shooting.