Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B priming problem

Tried to use my SDB dedicated to 45ACP today. It's been sitting under a cover for 5-6 months.

I'm loading my usual 200gr SWC with Winchester large pistol primers. My primers are multi-feeding inside the loader and locking the handle. I changed the primer feed tip and measured the height of the primer mechanism per the Dillon instructions.

My multi-feed continues but only when I get down to 15-20 primers left in the tube.

I've not had primer problems since I picked up a second SDB and dedicated on to small primers and one to large.

Any input or suggestions appreciated.

FIW-this is a 1980's SDB that had a new large primer set up about 1 year ago.

PJ

Winchester primers have been having problems. I tried to load on a SDB with them and found them to occasionally not even want to fit in the pickup tube. OD was varying by as much as .003". Switched to CCI and Federal after frustrating myself and have had no problems.

Update-tried Fed primers today and drilled a 350gr 45-70 bullet to the top of the plastic primer rod. No problems!

I had loaded 200 primers out of the box of 1000 before yesterday. I have 200 left in that box. Thursday I'll try them again.

Wish me luck and hope the other box of 1000 are in spec!

PJ

The hot tip for the Square Deal and the 550 is use the 650 primer tube with the brass tip. I did that about 10 years ago and have never, ever, had another primer issue with those stupid plastic ones.

Ha, my SDB is as old as my USPSA shooting career (twenty years plus) and I've never reloaded on any other press. I would have even thought that the primer tubes for other Dillon presses might be different.

I need to get a brass tipped primer tube. I ended up throwing away the last 200 primers in the box of 1,000. Sprayed them with WD 40 and put them in the trash. I hope Waste Management does not compact them too much!

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

Update-bought the 650 brass tipped primer tubes and used the large primer tube today. NO,NONE primer problems!

Loaded about 500 rounds of 45 ACP today.

I'm happy and wish I'd discovered this fix many years ago.

Thx 9x45!

PJ

Ha, my SDB is as old as my USPSA shooting career (twenty years plus) and I've never reloaded on any other press. I would have even thought that the primer tubes for other Dillon presses might be different.

The SD, 550 and 1050 all have shuttle style priming systems and use the plastic tip, the 650 is rotary and uses a brass tip.

Update-bought the 650 brass tipped primer tubes and used the large primer tube today. NO,NONE primer problems!

Loaded about 500 rounds of 45 ACP today.

I'm happy and wish I'd discovered this fix many years ago.

Thx 9x45!

PJ

your'e welcome, and yes, I wish I had known that long before also. Discovered it when yet another plastic tip pitched out, day before a match, and my buddy had given me his small primer tube from his new 650. Put it in, and that was years ago.

If they thought it was safe they would send everyone a single brass tip vs sending replacement plastic tips out forever, for free.

If they thought it was a bad idea and did it to save money anyway and someone got hurt they would certainly loose the lawsuit that follows.

• 2 years later...

Is this brass primer tube end fitting an actual Dillon product? If so, I'm tempted to order one as I keep running into primer feed issues due to those plastic tips getting torn up.  I also reload with Winchester primers. I've already added the 40SW brass to the top of the guide rod for more down force weight, and have gotten rid of the low primer alarm to avoid the knurl nut getting over tightened, and still I keep getting feed hang-ups. 

On 7/13/2015 at 6:38 PM, aandabooks said:

Winchester primers have been having problems. I tried to load on a SDB with them and found them to occasionally not even want to fit in the pickup tube. OD was varying by as much as .003". Switched to CCI and Federal after frustrating myself and have had no problems.

I have experienced the same thing with Winchester SRP. OD is not very consistent. Will stick with Federal or CCI when Winchester runs out. I did contact Winchester and told them about this problem. They said "Thank You" I feel much better.

Signing, you can't buy the brass tip separately, you just order a new primer magazine for a 650. And to be fair and honest, Dillon does not recommend this. It;s just that I have run it for so long, and in my old 1986 550 without ever since primer issues.   Besides static electricity discharge is far more dangerous than the brass tip.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for a solution to SDB priming problems that often resulted in unusable ammunition.  It was becoming very frustrating, as I have been using a pair of SDB’s for over 30(?) years.  I went into my XL-650 parts drawer, and located a small primer sized magazine with brass tip, and compared it to the SDB, and it looked the same, except for the brass tip.  I went ahead and installed it, and proceeded to crank out 100 rounds of .38 Special ammunition with -ZERO- problems!!!!  I will be ordering two for each SDB, large and small.

thank you for the help!