Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi from Philly!

Lazer

Hey everyone!

My name is Tyler, but most of my friends call me Lazer (not the worst nickname I could ask for haha, take your pick). I recently moved to Philly from Brooklyn, and can't even describe how psyched I am to be in a gun-friendly state since I have gotten much more into shooting over the past few years. I am very interested in starting to shoot some USPSA matches, and just got my sig 229 transferred from family in CA so I'm more or less ready to get out there and shoot.

I've been lurking for a while and have already learned a ton from this forum, it seems like this is a really amazing group of people with extensive knowledge of the action shooting sports and who are excited to share with us newbies, so before I even ask you guys a bunch of questions, thanks!

So far I've just been shooting at square indoor ranges, doing some dry fire/draw practice at home, and when I visit family in CA we have a spot we can run and gun, but that's only once or twice a year. I've been looking for clubs in the area and found a few that have matches/ one that looks like they will let you set up steel and practice, but due to scheduling it will be a while before I can get into one. I would love to get in some live fire practice with drawing and moving in a match-like environment, so if anyone in the Philly area has suggestions of where to shoot, or the best club or clubs to try to join, I'd love to hear it! I work Tues-Sat so any local Sunday matches would also be awesome to learn about.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and hopefully shoot a couple matches this year!

Cheers,

Laze

Laze,

Welcome! For a great range with a multitude of shooting options, you will have to drive west for a little bit. There is Topton $$$, and http://ontelaunee.org$, and some others. ontelaunee has a lot of options and they are building some pits for three-gun style shooting. It's only about an hour from philly and you'll love the low membership fee. For closer indoor shooting try Targetmaster on RT 202.

Between these two you can shoot USPSA, IDPA, static steel and knock down steel almost every weekend. Check the calendars.

http://www.cjrpc.org/

and here is their steel page.

http://www.centraljerseysteel.com/home.html

http://www.obrpc.org/

And here is their USPSA and three gun page

http://obcats.com/

For Steel and some events they use this page to preregister and post scores

http://steelscoring.com/#/

Also if you come to Nazi Jersey your CCW is invalid, your mags need to be 15 rounds or less and you need to transport the guns and ammo in separate containers/bags.

Thanks guys, Lots of good resources here I really appreciate it!

So it looks like I got into the Topton Steel match for tomorrow's morning session! If anyone else is going to be there I have big black frame glasses, a black and white Indianapolis Motor Speedway hat and a sig 229, definitely come say hi and I'll accept any advice on how to not blow it. Looking forward to meeting you guys and shooting my first match, a little nervous already but just gonna try to stay mellow and have fun out there.

Have a good weekend everyone and maybe I'll see you tomorrow blacklab!

Lazer,

Sorry I missed you this morning at Topton.

The next steel league match is next Sunday at Guthsville.

If you can make it, maybe I can catch up to you there.

FYI, the scores are already up on Pratiscore.com.

Lazer,

Welcome. At Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club, we host USPSA matches the first Saturday of the month and IDPA matches the fourth Saturday of the month for the public.

The link to the club

lprgc.org/

regards

BGC

Hey everyone!

My name is Tyler, but most of my friends call me Lazer (not the worst nickname I could ask for haha, take your pick). I recently moved to Philly from Brooklyn, and can't even describe how psyched I am to be in a gun-friendly state since I have gotten much more into shooting over the past few years. I am very interested in starting to shoot some USPSA matches, and just got my sig 229 transferred from family in CA so I'm more or less ready to get out there and shoot.

I've been lurking for a while and have already learned a ton from this forum, it seems like this is a really amazing group of people with extensive knowledge of the action shooting sports and who are excited to share with us newbies, so before I even ask you guys a bunch of questions, thanks!

So far I've just been shooting at square indoor ranges, doing some dry fire/draw practice at home, and when I visit family in CA we have a spot we can run and gun, but that's only once or twice a year. I've been looking for clubs in the area and found a few that have matches/ one that looks like they will let you set up steel and practice, but due to scheduling it will be a while before I can get into one. I would love to get in some live fire practice with drawing and moving in a match-like environment, so if anyone in the Philly area has suggestions of where to shoot, or the best club or clubs to try to join, I'd love to hear it! I work Tues-Sat so any local Sunday matches would also be awesome to learn about.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and hopefully shoot a couple matches this year!

Cheers,

Laze

Although it's a little bit of a drive, New Holland is a great range if you are looking for something with a longer distance, they just extended the rifle range out to 700 yards. It's out in lancaster county, about an hour and a half from philly.