Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make lanolin case lube

b1gcountry

Exactly what kind of lanolin are you trying to use? Many of us use pure liquid lanolin and mix it 1:10 with 99% isopropyl alcohol (warming it does allow it to dissolve easier but isn't necessary).

NOW-07730-4.jpg

Edited by RDA

I use the lanolin that looks like paste wax. I put several ounces in a pan over boiling water to melt it and then mix it with a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol from CVS. After mixing if completely dissolved I add more lanolin until the mixture is saturated where the lanolin is coming out of solution and settling to the bottom. At this point I just strain the mixture and put in a spray bottle. The remainder I set aside and let harden to be used when I need to make more .... I'm still on my original batch I made in Jan 2104 and I reload 25,000 rds/yr ....

I use the lanolin that looks like paste wax. I put several ounces in a pan over boiling water to melt it and then mix it with a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol from CVS.

You have found 99% at a CVS? I have never seen it at any drugstore, I have always had to order it.

Just curious - do you guys remove/clean up the lube from the loaded rounds when you use lanolin based lube? I think Dillon case lube is also lanolin based. It is pretty stick if not cleaned it up afterwards, but I am too lazy to tumble or wipe finished rounds...

I use the lanolin that looks like paste wax. I put several ounces in a pan over boiling water to melt it and then mix it with a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol from CVS.

You have found 99% at a CVS? I have never seen it at any drugstore, I have always had to order it.

yes

I will tumble loaded rounds used for majors but not local matches or practice ammo, just like I only case guage match ammo ....

Approximately how many 40 cases can you lube with 1 bottle of Dillon brand lube?

thousands and thousands:) you can actually dilute dillon lube way down with 100% alcohol causing a bottle to last nearly forever

I have head of the 91% being on the shelf and having to ask at the pharmacy counter for the 99%. No real restriction on buying it however just how they do it.

I heard all of this too when I made my batch. But I was never able to find lanolin locally and managed to only find one bottle of 99% alcohol at a specialty drug store. No lanolin at the health food stores and no alcohol stashed in secret places behind the counters of pharmacies. You can save time by getting it on amazon. I made a lifetime supply for about the cost of a bottle of Dillon

I put the bottle I mixed in a hot water bath for ten minutes and everything was dissolved. I tried it or for the first time and it was a very noticeable difference. It made everything smoother and faster. I went a little heavy on the first batch. I will definitely need to tumble them.

I did use some 91% isopropyl we had laying around. It seemed to work okay.

Exactly what kind of lanolin are you trying to use? Many of us use pure liquid lanolin and mix it 1:10 with 99% isopropyl alcohol (warming it does allow it to dissolve easier but isn't necessary).

NOW-07730-4.jpg

This is exact stuff I use. I mix it with the Heet gas treatment that comes in the red bottles. I go 10:1.

I was a dedicated OS user until I tried Dillon lube. It's crazy how much better the Dillon worked. It was almost as if the brass was already sized. I would say at least 3 times slicker.

Is there an advantage to making your own as opposed to off-the-shelf lube (aside from $$)? I generally use Hornady One-Shot and have been pleased with it so far.

Its cheaper, very effective, and simple.

I only use it on rifle cases. I had to resize some 7.62X51 machine gun brass a week ago, and One Shot would not have handled it. I had to lube these very heavy.

I do use One Shot for lubing pistol cases before I run them on the progressive as it will not contaminate powder once dry.

One Shot is not at all the same as a lanolin lube. I like one shot for pistol cases that I don't clean.

The paste lanolin will leave a lot of undissolved fatty deposits in your mix unless the mix is heated. I believe the clear liquid shown in the pics does not have this problem, but I haven't used up all my nasty paste lanolin yet. Still works.

One Shot is not at all the same as a lanolin lube. I like one shot for pistol cases that I don't clean.

The paste lanolin will leave a lot of undissolved fatty deposits in your mix unless the mix is heated. I believe the clear liquid shown in the pics does not have this problem, but I haven't used up all my nasty paste lanolin yet. Still works.

No deposits in my mix. I used liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol and it doesn't separate that I notice. Kind of looks like a urine sample. :cheers: