Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first glock on order. G35 G4, question about 9mm barrel conversion

RandyLahey

I just ordered my first glock. A police trade gen4 G35 with night sights. I've been wanting a 5" pistol and was going to get another M&P, but I decided to try the glock as I've shot a friends G34 and liked it. I love my M&P's, but feel that each gun offers pluses and minuses, and I want to play with a glock for a bit :). Good excuse to get another gun right?? My concern with the M&P 5" was in my experience, the 9mm M&P's are very fussy with loads, and I had to dial and dial a load in for that gun. The stock triggers suck and need upgrading, which can induce some dependability issues if everything isn't just so.

Anyway, what barrel would you recommend for converting to 9mm. I shoot a fair amount of 40, but for plinking 9mm is cheaper to reload for. I'm somewhat concerned though that match barrels will give me more fits. My Full size M&P9 eats everything I've fed it. Knock on wood, I've never had a round fail to chamber in many thousands of rounds of reloads. I run a standard Lee carbide resizing die btw. I hear about people having to resort to undersize dies, or push through sizing. I'm too lazy to push through size, but I could buy an undersize die if it comes to that.

I may eventually shoot some competition with this gun if I'm comfortable enough with it.

Plan to have my friend work the trigger on this gun after I get it and verify function. He did a good job with his. Other than that, no other mods planned for now. Maybe some stippling down the road. My M&P's have Apex poly triggers and FSS jobs, which have spoiled me a bit. That said, other than the takeup on the stock glock trigger, the stock trigger is pretty dam good, at least his was after he polished his a bit. Definitely workable as opposed to that pos stock M&P trigger.

Edited by RandyLahey

I suggest that you start shooting competition and you will see that plenty of guys run stock triggers and that drop in barrels are no less reliable or any more accurate than oem barrels. And if you can't chamber a reload in a glock oem barrel then you should reload. The Internet is full of worthless information

I ran KKM 40-to-9 in my M&P before I bought a 9mm M&P. If you're not already setup for 9mm reloading wise I would give some serious consideration to sticking with .40 and just work up some light loads. You would be surprised how soft the 35 feels when shooting a minor load through it.

I ordered the Lonewolf from Midway. Will have to see how my reloads chamber, but may have to pay the $25 reaming fee if they don't chamber well.

Loving the gun mostly. The seller's description was not really accurate, but functionally, the gun seems to function well. Fired one mag in the back woods tonight, but the mosquitos got me bad so I bailed on more testing. Crazy how much tamer the 40SW is in a longer gun vs my M&P40 full size(4.24" barrel). Seems to me when I go from one size pistol to the next, say compact to full size, or full size to 5+", it's almost like it shoots like one size smaller caliber.