Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WIN brass interesting issue

Ponce

I have been loading some 9 mm on my new 650. To start I wanted to sort the brass by headstamp to have consistency until I get a good feel for the machine. About 1 out of 10 WIN cases have to small of primer pocket to properly seat the primer. They will be high or flattened. I can feel which ones as soon as I start my downstroke, so I broke out my swagger and as soon as I feel the resistance I pull it an sewage it and it works fine.

I can see no difference on the tight headstamps and the ones that work fine. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. It's no big deal to me I am not reloading for speed so the extra few seconds every once in a while doesn't bother me.

I use WIN 9mm and have never had a problem with priming it. I use a Lee Ergo hand primer and find they require pretty much equal pressure to seat. Also hand priming you never have a problem seating to the bottom of the primer receptacle and I've never had a misfire since starting to hand prime.

I do shoot at a range were there is a lot of military brass. I really don't see it as a problem, but I am sure it is the brass itself. I ran 400 cases of mixed non-WIN brass today with no issues, the only ones I have seen is may 25-30 cases of the 500 WIN cases I have reloaded.

Interesting...I have two 550's and I load at least 4000 rounds per month using sorted Win, FC, Blazer, PMC, and R-P brass. I recycle all other head stamps. I have very few problems and none with high primers. I have never made a squib or a double charge. All my loads are 9 mm.

I just (this week) set up a new 650. Today I loaded 600 rounds on a 550 with no problem of any kind using Blazer brass, Titegroup, and 147 gr Montana Gold bullets. I then switched to the new 650 using the same Blazer brass with CFE Pistol, and 124 gr Montana Golds. I did 200 rounds and had about 10% high or damaged primers. All the primers on both presses were from the same box of Federal SP primers.

I cannot figure out what is going on but it sounds similar to the experience of the OP. Whatever it is the 650 is the culprit. I have not done anything in the primer area of the machine since setting it up but it sure seems that I need to adjust something.

When I started reloading 9mm I was getting occasional crushed primers.

Upon paying more attention, they are always WIN cases and crimped. Not all WIN cases are crimped, so I now watch for the crimped cases.

I find 9mm to be a real PITA to reload, as I find crimped cases sneaking in as well as .380 cases. I spend more time sorting cases than I do loading...

Today at the range the guy to my left was shooting both Luger and Makerov, so I'm sure I'll be sorting through the brass trying to pick out the Makerov.

.40 and .45 are never a problem. Just grab a pile of cases and go.

Edited by TDA

Never met a SP .45 yet ??? :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I very seldom have anyone shooting .45 at the same time I am, so if there is brass on the floor when I get there I pick it up before I start. That way if it is SP I keep it seperated.

With 9mm though, it seems like everyone is shooting .380 or 9mm so it's spraying all around and mixing with my brass.

I also recently came across a batch of 9mm Win brass with crimped primers. The headstamp is identical to all the other non-crimped Win I've loaded. Even the crimp ring itself is rather slight, doesn't stand out as much as other crimped brass I've seen. They decapped just fine on my 550b, but then the new primer would only go halfway in. Huge pain to get the brass out of the shell plate.

Normally I just toss crimped brass into the scrap bucket, but I have enough of these Win now that I think I'll try to ream them with a #2 Phillips as I've seen some suggest.

Edited by rev1911

On a 550 I was getting the same thing until I started using case lube, almost all of my primer problems went away after using it.

"WIN" will still give the occasional crushed or flattened primer, but about 1/100.

Edited by aceinyerface

I am happy to report that I solved my problem posted several posts back. I stated that I had problems with the primer insertion leaving a significant number of high and very high primers on my new 650. I also stated that that I not messed with the factory settings on the new machine.

All of that is (was) true, but I did put one of the phenolic indexing balls into the machine to minimize indexing shock and resulting powder spillage. After carefully disassembling the shell plate and investigating indexing I noticed that the plate had slop in the horizontal location of the primer position. The plate was thoroughly tightened and did not rock vertically but it did move easily in the horizontal direction about 1/2 a primer diameter. I reinstalled the Dillon steel ball and all that play disappeared. My problem evaporated.

User error. No problem with the Dillon press. All is well.