Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter exploring budget 1911 options

Great advice from chbrow10. I've had a couple RIA's and they have been great guns. The other thing is Armscor/RIA has excellent customer service. I had a few questions about one of mine and got a quick e-mail response from Martin, their CEO personally. Great company that makes a great product for a reasonable price.

The heartache and expense of flushing poor quality parts out of cheap guns is not worth the savings on price of purchase. I'd highly recommend saving a bit longer. The sport is expensive, and going home after the second stage of a match because your gun doesn't run is a huge waste of money. I am not saying you need to buy a Les Baer, but I would consider the RO or similar the bare minimum to start the sport. Your consumables will quickly eclipse the purchase price of the gun. A Spartan (which is similar to the RIA, but with better internals) or an RO would be great choices, and both companies stand behind their guns.

If you get the CZ75B and go the production route, you will likely get tired of people telling you that you should have bought an SP01 Shadow.

If you want a Spartan, better buy one soon. I heard STI is discontinuing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've learned a lot over the past 24 hours. I was looking online for different sights for the Rock Island guns and learned they have a dovetail that is a little different from the standard Novak cut. So a new sight would require milling, or drop-in sight selection is very limited. Long story short, I realized that with any of these guns, just a few minor tweaks out of the box and the price goes up quickly. The same goes for the Range Officer, which has a rear sight and grips I'm not crazy about.

Today I got to try the Range Officer, and later compare side-by-side the RO, the RIA, and the CZs. The rental RO was in tough shape with a loose slide and wobbly rear sight. I know it's a range gun so I tried not to let that affect my decision, but the 30% jam/FTF feed made that difficult. I was told 'that gun' is finicky about re manufactured ammo, but I'd say it has something to do with maintenance, too. It was generally just uncomfortable; there were some sharp edges. I wasn't crazy about the grips, the rear sight (which was also a little loose), or the feel of the trigger.

The performance was OK despite all that. When I wasn't second guessing whether or not the gun would shoot, the prints were pretty consistent. Nothing miraculous like I remember the CZ, but not bad. I compared to a Barretta and was surprised how much muzzle flip the Barretta had in comparison. The RO was very controllable and recovery was quick.

The RO behind the counter was only slightly better in terms of slide to frame fit. Comparing to the RIA revealed not much difference; if anything the RIA felt tighter in more places, but it's hard to say. Neither one gave me the feeling I got when holding/shooting the CZ. If someone were just looking for a gun to shoot, I'm sure either would be just fine to start with. I want something that I'm proud to own, so I continued the search.

The second gun shop introduced me to Kimber. I personally felt there was a jump in quality over the RIA and SA guns I had looked at. Every model had had a good fit between slide and frame, nice feel in loading/ejecting the mags and racking the slides, and the trigger was AWESOME on every one. Every one had a similar fit in my hand and they all felt good. Unfortunately I couldn't shoot one, but Kimber seems to deliver the 'CZ quality' or feeling I was looking for.

What I realized - is that I want something that I will enjoy out of the box. I don't want to spend $500-800 and want to make changes off the bat. I also learned more about the differences between DA/SA and SAO and have come to appreciate the 1911 a little more.

Thanks - I've read some good things about Para and saw they are American. I held one in the store today and wasn't crazy about the way it fit together. Some parts looked beautiful, but others seemed to not fit quite right.

The Kimber is really calling me. I started a different thread specifically about that gun. I think Colt and Remington are probably the other two options in a similar price range, but both seem tough to get at this time.

I use my ria fs tac II For single stack uspsa,esp idpa, and steel challenge. Out performs me most of the time and has an outstanding trigger when the factory components are dialed in. Everyone I shoot with loves the thing. I don't regret my purchase AT ALL and have seen two guys sell there para to fund an ria.... just saying lol

Highly recommend the rock islands. Easily the best base platform I've come across. With a little work they shine and with a base price for a used one around 450 they won't break the bank either. Most of the issues to work out with them are just polishing the internals, trigger engagement surfaces, feed ramps, etc. I absolutely love mine, wouldn't trade it for any other make.

Since you are liking the cz you might look at their 40 caliber limited gun, I cant remember the exact model. It has a nice single action trigger and cost ~1200 (I think, it has been a while since I looked at one). That may be more than you were wanting to spend, but you might like it. I have a friend who shoots a Kimber, last I checked he was a master class, so he seems to do well with it. Good luck

Edited by RJH

Thank you.

I ended up getting a Sig 1911 in 9mm. Once I started looking at the cost for sights and other parts, the price of any budget gun would go up pretty quickly. The Sig was not too much more than the Range Officer and I like it a lot better, and will be OK with leaving it stock for a while. I know it's not a 'budget option' and I agree that the RIA is a great value. It just seemed to make more sense to buy what I really wanted instead of spending 75% and settling.
For 'budget' gear I'm looking at Safariland. Their stuff looks pretty nice and there are a lot of options at an attractive price point. I will start with minimal paddle gear until I figure out what else I want and have recovered from over spending on the gun.
I still think about CZ, and every time I see one I feel like 'it's my gun'. Maybe a .40 DA/SA with SAO conversion parts will be next. But I should see what end up wanting to shoot or do before I make another gun purchase. I really like shooting so it's hard not to want.
I shot the Sig one day and really enjoyed it. I might go back tonight and mess with the sights. The ranges are too expensive but they're my only option right now. It's an 18mos wait for one club, and 36mos for another that I'm interested in. I will do plenty of drop-ins in the meantime though. I plan on taking a class, shooting in a steel or plates contest, then checking out a USPSA meet.

I think you will enjoy your pistol. While waiting, I recommend reading the USPSA rulebook, and understanding the safety rules especially. You can work on dry firing and safe gun handling at home, then head to the next USPSA match in your area, go slow, be safe, and work on getting your hits. No since in putting it off till you think you are ready. If you can be safe and hit what you are aiming you are ready to go to a match. have fun.

Best thing g you can do for yourself is practice reloads at home. Smooth is fast. You will be shooting single stack I presume so remember. Open guys won't reload whereas you will probably 3 times or so. Get proficient and you will be fine

I had my first contest today - the Sig shot really great (well, it did exactly what I told it to do). You are right about the reloads - they were almost painful and a lot of people were giving me advice on them. Part of it, for me, is not being able to reach the mag release with my right thumb. That is what I've been doing on other guns. It looks like my solution is going to be using my support hand thumb. I know there are extended buttons and thumb cutouts, but I was playing around with it for the past 2 hours and don't think that will get me where I want to be.

I also will want to get a magwell. But I know that most of it has to do with practice, and I will do that too.

There are a few things on the gun that I might need to change. I will try to use it some more before throwing money at it. But I'm thinking grips, magwell with arched mainspring housing, possibly different safety, different mag release spring, and hopefully that will get me there.

With a 1911 you're going to likely need to break your firing grip on dropping the mag and re-acquire it as you seat the mag and extend out. You'll use (as a righty) your support hand thumb to release the slide unless you have an extended slide stop.

Tim Heron does some good instructional videos and he usually runs his single stack gun for them. It's a different beast than a production gun/double stack gun. I don't know if your Sig has a mag well or not but you should definitely look into getting one.

I shoot primarily single stacks and love them dearly, but at the same time if you're new to shooting and firearms in general, I would have recommended a production rig in 9mm first. Glad you're liking your gun, may it serve you well!

OMG that guy's reloads are nuts! Thanks for the video - there is a lot of good stuff in there. I hadn't thought about reloading with the gun near eye level. Dropping the gun is a complete waste of time!

I have ordered a magwell, and a new set of grips to go with it. I'll try a thumb notch on the grips and see if that gets me close enough, then consider a mag button if needed (like the one in the video). I'm not interested in using my trigger finger, but that's personal preference i guess. I like keeping my trigger finger straight out when not engaging

I don't think I mind a slight shift in my hand, but right now it takes too much movement. I think part of it is also a stiff spring, so I need to position the gun for maximum leverage. I'll fix that, too.

If I plan my reloads better, slide release shouldn't be as much of an issue :) With my latest grip my left thumb rides right next to the slide release so it should be a quick movement if needed, but that is something I should start practicing.

I understand the notion of a production rig to start, but I was spoiled early shooting the 1911 and there is no looking back!

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 5 months later...

The metro/American classic/MAC line I've seen more good than bad about and they're reasonably priced.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/84176/american_classic_ac9g2b_american_classic_ii_9mm_5_9+1_check

I'm loving Single Stack division, so I picked up one of these for a backup gun. For the money it's a nice gun. I really like how it feels in my hands, and the first time shooting it I was able to put 7 rounds in a 1.5" hole from 15yds (freehand). It shoots nice and straight. The slide to frame fit is pretty perfect, and other parts feel tight although there's plenty of sharp edges, and things sort of bind a little as opposed to slip tightly in place. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Taking the gun apart reveals where the price difference is between it and something like my Sig. The fit and finish of a $1000 gun is really noticeable when you look at one and then the other. But still, $500 gets all the features one really needs, a pretty decent trigger pull, and a nice slide and frame to work with.

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 2 months later...