Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Rear Sight On Edge

pbcaster45

The rear sight on my 40 STI Edge keeps coming loose, I've tried Blue Loctite on the setscrews but it didn't hold. I'm not sure if it's the rear sight or the slide cut but the fit is a little sloppy. I can slide the sight from one side and out the other with finger pressure alone (with the setscrews loose). I don't want to try a stronger Loctite; does anyone know if anyone makes an oversized/gunsmith fit version for the LPA cut? There is very little contact between the slight and the base of the sight - I'm stumped!

post-2837-0-42122000-1435589768_thumb.jp

I had a smilar issue with a lpa cut sight

What I did was remove the rear sight

And drilled a shallow detent where the set screws contact the bottom of the sight cut in the slide

Reinstalled the rear sight an used loctite 271 on the set screws

If you can see if you can get new set screws, because the one you have may have been buggered up by constantly trying to

Tighten up

That piece of aluminum idea sounds interesting! I think I'll give that a try. I don't want to do anything permanent just in case the STI Warranty Department finally gets in touch. It's been a month so far, they must be really busy!

I thought the windage screw hole was drilled and tapped into the slide, Unless its broke you would not be able to move the sight because the windage screw would hold it in place

That's true on rear sights with the Bomar sight cut. My STI has the LPA sight cut which is different. I'm not sure when STI made the change but most of the Edge pistols I've seen on the forum seem to have the Bomar style.

The elevation screw is what is drilled and tapped into the slide, not windage. It can still have some side to side movement even with that setup.

Blue Loctite in the dovetail and setscrew would probably fix it.

SUCCESS!!! Shot 150 rounds of my usual Major load and the rear sight stayed put!

Bullet: X-Treme 180 gr. RNFP Plated

Powder: Winchester WST 5.1 grs.

Primer: CCI-500

Case: Winchester

LOAL: 1.200

Recoil Spring: Dawson Tool-less Guide Rod, 13 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad

Thank you "Oh, Wise More Experienced Shooters"!! :bow:

Edited by pbcaster45