Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue with CZ mags

Utah Shooter

Seems that on all of my mags when I slam them into the well the base comes of with the spring and all the ammo inside. I know I can prevent it by not inserting them so hard I just do it that way so I do not have to release the slide forward into battery it does it by itself. Can I get stiffer springs perhaps?

Check out the basepad, I had this problem once and it stripped off some of the plastic on the hole of the basepad that made me continually have problems. I could have probably drilled the hole slightly larger to make the hole straight again but I decided to just buy aluminum basepads instead. Problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you running factory mags (which mag) with stock basepads? Aluminum basepads & the +10% springs and have never had an issue. CZC pads on my Mec-Gars and Springer's on my factory Shadow mags.

Slamming mags in to auto forward drives me nuts. Why do people insist on doing this? You're hitting it so hard that even when the mag is full the retaining plate jumps out of the witness hole and all the guts fly out.

Edited by brian45acp

Why does it bother you so much? IMO its a feature of the gun I like to use.

(also the factory mags are notorious for having weaker springs and falling apart.) Get Mec-Gars and you will be fine.

Slamming mags in to auto forward drives me nuts. Why do people insist on doing this? You're hitting it so hard that even when the mag is full the retaining plate jumps out of the witness hole and all the guts fly out.

Honestly that is the issue. The plate should not jump out of the hole. If a full mag hits the ground should it do this? I do not run into this with other manufacturer mags like glock, S&W, ruger etc.

I started with factory mags....sold them off and only run Mec Gars. I loaded a mag once on a classifier and didn't even "slam it to forward the slide" and the mag exploded. The springs are too weak for those mags.

You can get the +10% springs or what i did was get the Mec gars and the +10% springs. I havent had a mag issue since.

I have also noticed that the mag springs are a tad weak on the 18 rd SP01 mags. I have replaced them all with the +10% springs and used the original springs on my worn out 16 rd mags.

Edited by himurax13

You insert the mag and the base plate comes off? Something is wrong. Which mags, basepads and magwell?

Yep.

You insert the mag and the base plate comes off? Something is wrong. Which mags, basepads and magwell?

Factory 18rd mags, factory basepads and no magwell.

+1 But mine are 10rd mags.

Edited by Utah Shooter

It shouldn't really happen, unless the mag base plate is so worn that it sits loosely on the mag.

Just check the base plate without a spring and if it sides off easily or is "rattling", go for new base plates (even with the +10% spring the same thing will happen after some time)

(There is also the possibility that your palm is pushing the base plate forward when you slam the mag in place and if the pin hole is worn the plate comes off. Do a slo-mo drill of the reload and see what your hand does)