Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double trigger

FlightMurse

While unpacking boxes the other night I ran across my old paintball gun and it got me thinking. Why haven't we seen a double trigger on an AR? Speed ball and 3 gun type matches have a lot of similarities with movement and speed and I found the double trigger far faster to run. While we are at it why no electronic triggers?

Solution looking for a problem? Seems like double the trigger would far more than double the chances of a ND. Not to mention removing the strongest remaining finger from the grip, could cause retention issues. All I see are risks, no rewards. Not to mention the ridicule.

While unpacking boxes the other night I ran across my old paintball gun and it got me thinking. Why haven't we seen a double trigger on an AR? Speed ball and 3 gun type matches have a lot of similarities with movement and speed and I found the double trigger far faster to run. While we are at it why no electronic triggers?

Pardon me while I feel old

Pre-electro paintball guns were all single trigger. I wasn't until the electros came out that the double trigger began to surface, mostly because players found that with the electro trigger they could "walk" it by using the index and middle finger and reach pretty high rates of fire. Same to could be done with the RT triggers that existed in a few pure mechanical guns that were around, mainly the Tippmans and Automags, although especially in the case of Tippmans the RT system could be set to were there was a "sweet" spot that you could hold your finger and go full auto.

The ultra high rates of fire, which has since led to RoF capping, is great for paintball on an air field but it lacks the control needed in 3 gun.

Also don't forget that circuitry to utilize an electric firing system can't withstand the forces involved with recoil.

Edited by Iggy42

You have it right. I have an autococker that I used to use and it could lay down some paint when I wanted to. I understand that it might not be ideal when going for a 400 yard shot, but you could get your split times down for bay matches.

While we are at it why no electronic triggers?

Definition of a machine gun is

Firearms within the definition of machinegun include weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger.

The readily restored to shoot part is a problem with electronic triggers.

Edited by jtielke

• 1 month later...