Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slam fire and double fires

After some post mortem thinking I'm concerned about the slam fires and 2x fires we experienced.

I glad my daughter and I took training time serious over the last two summers. Practice MAKES PERFECT 1] finger placement: not on trigger unless shooting 2] ALWAYS POINT THE GUN IN A SAFE DIRECTION. 3] allow safe mistakes while shooting, trying to fire on an empty mag is a good opportunity for them to practice clearing the gun/malfunction.

65 grendel 20" stoner barrel, seekins upper, area 53 lower...

Cheap M16 carrier, Brownell firing pin, hornady 123 factory ammo, carbine spring/buffer, ar stoner barrel/bolt. Awaiting Brownell adjustable piston with NiB carrier. Trigger is del-ton two stage.

Also magpul 223 10rd mags which operated flawlessly. Sadly the 65grendel 25rd mags chewed up and didn't let go (ftf) of rounds.

Slam fire:

About the only thing on the net is make sure the firing pin has free travel. Well it did and still does. We had 3-4 slam fires during the 40 shot session.

> I'll try to replace the firing pin with a vdl coated one I just got in for another rifle

>????

2x: had about six of these

>I do have an adjustable gas block so I'll turn the gas down

> not sure it's not my daughters' happy bouncing finger, but it'll take a few dozen rounds of me shooting it to determine.

Any help or vectors appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Was the slam fire on dropping the BCG from open or while firing? Have you since checked the trigger assembly for proper disconnector function. IMHO, the first thing you should have done after the very first double is do a safety check on the firing mechanism and fired the rifle yourself to ensure she wasn't bump firing it. Not to berate, but to let her keep shooting a rifle that could be suffering a serious malfunction was a pretty risky move.

Please post pic's of the slam-fire brass primers and the 2X fired primers.

Also, post close-up pic's of your firing pin retaining pin.

The above post from Shooter115 is also cogent to the discussion, answer those questions, please.

I suspect that terms are being bandied about (slam-fire, doubling) without full comprehension of the problem.

mi dos centavos,

ericm

Slam fires or doubles? That is the big question. Is the gun firing when you drop the bolt with the finger off the trigger or is the gun doubling when shooting from a bench at a slow rate? Is the finger on the trigger when this happens?

If it is indeed a slam fire, gun fire when the bolt moves forward with finger off the trigger, then try it with the safety on. If the gun fires with the safety on and the hammer doesn't move, then make sure the firing pin isn't jammed. If the hammer is following you have a trigger group and or safety issue.

If the gun only does this when the finger is on the trigger after a first shot and you get a double, the possibility of bump fire by the shooter is really high.

Second try at posting.

Slams Fire (dropping THE bolt) When the safety is off. Will look at disconnector function more closely.

She's 15YO and handles my 308 and 40's proficiently...not 9. These were 3-4 round loaded mags. And we were able to get 6 rounds without issue.

2x: while shooting. She Is Lazy with shouldering THE GUN So Could Be A SPOOKING issue.

Gun never failed for me...yes I took over, function check, disassemble and checked, test fired.

• 2 weeks later...

Primers were CCI small rifle.

Eventually just took the plunge and replaced trigger. The two stage Delton just didn't work out. After putting in a hiperfire 243g trigger the problem was readily apparent. The Delton was loose again the safety as compared to the hiperfire. The hiperfire has no give with the safety on.

As a side note suddenly the groups are sub MOA...go figure.

• 2 weeks later...