Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chasing Zero Shootin Slugs

I have a JP 1100 IPSC open shotgun with JP dot sight. I have a problem of chasing my zero with slugs 50 - 75 yards. I am shooting federal tactical slugs.

I am using a Mod. choke and every time I shoot it my zero keep changing.

I feel like my dot won't hold zero, anyone have any suggestions. I have been shooting off a bench rest.

Thanks for your help.

Different choke might help, also make sure the Barrel clamp is torqued the SAME each and every time. I have seen up to 10 MOA changes just by tightening and loosening the barrel clamp, ESPECIALY on Remmingtons. Try just sHooting it with out the clamp at all, over a 3-4 range sesion period and see if your zero remains the same. Also make sure ALL your Federal slugs are from the same lot. This number can be found on the inside flap orf the box, or on the back. IF they aren't the same, get a batch that is all the same lot. I haven't had very good luck with Federal as of late lot to lot. try Remmington low recoil as well as WW. I have found Rem very consistent. I think your dot is OK. I think some of the variables are bitting you. KURTM

The first thing I would do is check to see if the J-Point mount screws are tight. The second thing I would suggest is to get any torque off the barrel/forend. At 60-70 yards, any pressure on the barrel/forend will definitely throw you all over the place and if you are torquing it with what you are resting on, you will be chasing that zero for a long, long time.

Put yourself at 20-25 yards and shoot a group offhand to see if you get a repeatable result that way. Then if you get a solid group there, try increasing the range and resting the middle of the fore end on a sandbag with no pressure at all and just letting the recoil play, rather than clamping it into the bag and tourquing it during recoil.

If it is still all over the place at 20-25 yards, then I would check on a de-laminated dot.

Finally, If your choice of slugs won't shoot well through a Mod choke, then you need to find a different slug choice because you need slugs to shoot well from all your choke choices, and ideally, not change POI as you change chokes for different stage conditions.

--

Regards,

Try it with a more open choke, like Lt Mod or Cyl. IIRC, my 1100 did not like the Fed tactical slugs but it loves the Win Rangers. My buddies will shoot both. He tends to use Cyl for slugs, I like Lt Mod for everything. I'd try a different chock first, then maybe different slugs.

I used to shoot an Open class 1100 with Fed. Tact. slugs. I got rid of the barrel clamp and could shoot 5 round groups at fifty yards that you could cover with a fist. I also stuck with a Modified choke. Get rid of the clamp and your headaches.

I have been shooting a JP 11-87 for several years now & had the same problem until I found the right slug. Fiocchi low recoil slugs with an IC choke, shoot one big 10 shot hole at 50 yds.

It's the only slug I have found that shoots in this gun & I have tried them all.

I have two other rem's. that shoot federals just fine, but that gun doesn't like them. So try the fiocchi's it might be worth a try.

Tony

Louie,

The Win and Remmy Low recoil stuff shoots better. The other problem is the POS JP point doesn't adjust correctly. Everytime you try to make an adjustment it goes all over the damn place. I fixed the problem by puttting a Docter on there. A little Home gunsmithing and viola plastic POS replaced that actually tracks correctly.

I went to the range today and took my barrel- mag tube clamp off and the gun shot dead nuts zero at 50 yards and stayed there, also good group out to 100 yards.

Thanks for the great advise.

I feel good about slugs now and I will go kick butt against those steel plates at 50-60 yards now.

What is the purpose of the clamp and will I have to watch for something without using the clamp????

Thanks again

Louie

The clmap reduces mag tube flex during recoil. Supposedly, the tube will flex and fail if fired enough. (Ten years of slugs and buckshot at Second Chance, 15 years of IPSC 3-gun, I haven't seen anything yet.)

Unclamped, the tube might start to unscrew itself. Just check before you load up before each stage, and you won't have a probem.

At my very first Soldier of Fortune on the first slug stage at about round 4 my borrowed 1100 choked. After a little head scratching I noticed that the mag tube extension had went downrange. It didn't unscrew it just came apart. Somehow the mag tube clamp got left at home and didn't make it to Vegas. It took awhile to get thru that jungle run with a single shot. I have put 2 or 3 clamps on my 1100's since then and haven't had any big problems with slug accuracy but I am very careful that the tube runs parallel to the barrel and the clamps don't bind or twist the barrel. Clark makes a very good clamp.

Another problem I've seen with slug accuracy is that when the barrel heats up from shooting many rounds quick it tends to wander around. If you're using iron sights no big deal but optics mounted on the receiver won't keep zero.

The best slug shooting shotgun I've ever had is a Benelli 1200 fp. It has a hanger that attaches the end of the mag tube to the barrel solid, maybe that is one of the reasons it likes slugs. In my experience all the Benelli's seem to hold zero better than the 1100 with slugs.