Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Spartan Discontinued...

johniac7078

Probably just hurts their brand image having a product in the line that was manufactured in the Phillipines. I've got one myself and though its an OK gun to me it's still just an Armscor with an STI logo on it rather than actually being an STI gun.

A friend had one about a year ago. Loose. Best word to describe it. The barrel was chromed and didn't appear to have been fit to the gun. Shooting for groups was a mess.

To STIs credit, they tried to tighten it up some but it was still not great.

I know this is a sample of one but am guessing they were tarnishing STIs reputation and costing a bit to tune up.

Any idea why?

Obvious guess: not making enough $$$ to justify it's existence. Always been too little "price gap" up to the Trojan which is (or was) a hand fitted gun which is a lot better for the money. Anyway, whenever a product gets dropped it's usually because of sales.

I had a Spartan 9mm before upgrading to a Trojan. The Spartan was very accurate with a well fit barrel and slide. However, it was still a rough finished pistol compared to the bottom USA made lines they offered.

I tried the Spartan to explore USPSA single stack. I liked the division so much I upgraded to a Trojan 9mm and then acquired a Trojan 45 to match.

Look at the Armscor/Rock Island 1911 9mm's those are the same thing.

While the Spartan was not great (what do you want for the price break), the Rock Island 9MM was far below the Spartan.

While the Spartan was not great (what do you want for the price break), the Rock Island 9MM was far below the Spartan.

You are correct. In stock form the Spartan was better as it was a Rock Island with STI internals. STI actually uses the Armscor frame and slide (hence it's made in the Philippines) for the Spartan. Most of us here don't run our pistols stock. So the closest you can get to an STI Spartan is to buy a Rock Island 1911 9mm and putting in STI internals.

Edited by SayHelloToMyLittleFriend

I shot a spartan and wasn't impressed at all . Didn't group well and was very finicky on ammo , more so than any 1911 that I had ever handled or shot . I picked up a trojan and that gun is awesome .

I have some friends with the Spartan 45 and they just run and accurate too. 1 friend who is a tinkerer (not a good one) has all kinds of problems.

I had as Spartan IV and, after some teething problems, run great and IDPA accurate too. STI were a great help.

I sold the Spartan and replaced it with the Ranger II. Which I should have bought in the first place. I goes with the 2 Trojans I have.

I've got a Hard Chromed Dawson Spartan 45 that I've shot SS with for a few years and love it. I'd only get rid of it to maybe get a 40 SS for ammo ease since I shoot mostly Lim now. Gun is awesome!

They probably weren't making much on the a Spartan and sales of it were probably hurting the Trojan sales.

I have a Spartan and a Trojan and I'm not so sure the Trojan is a better gun. Some things about are, but others aren't. The are a couple things I like better about then Spartan.

Truth of the matter is all the troubles I had with my Spartan were due to the STI parts, not the Armscor parts.

I don't think the Trojan is worth $400-$500 more than the Spartan. Not counting the time and money I spent making the trigger almost as good as my Spartan. In retrospect I should have just found another Spartan or gone another route all together. If any product has soured me to STI products in the future, it's the Trojan not the Spartan.

Edited by cas