Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight issue

Garmil

Bought a Brazos lightning rod Novak cut sight and it's too small for my dovetail. I measured and thought I had a Novak cut, do they make something bigger? Or a pinned fiber sight since my slide is already drilled for a pin.

Who manufactured you slide? If you check Dawson Precision website it will so the differences in dovetails. I wo9uld also suggest watching his You Tube presentation on fitting front sights. Even the correct sight will take some fitting.

It's a Caspian slide. The whole sight can slide from one side through the the other side of the dovetail by hand I don't think I can fit that.

I've seen the dawson video I don't see where it shows the dovetail differences on there though.

If it slides without too much clearance you can gently tap down both sides of the cut (actually front and back) and get one where you can drive it in and it will stay in place. I guess you could then put a pin in it since you say the slide already has a hole in it. Imagine you would have to drill the sight however.

I'm thinking that's it, I hadn't seen a chart like that before. I thought a Novak was a Novak.

Edit: never mind I just looked at the package of the one that's too small and its a .075 deep so the deepest there is.

Edited by Garmil

Side to side in the dovetail very easy if I tip the gun it will move. Mine has the pin in front I may be able to drill the one I have but it will put the pin very close to the riser that holds the fiber rod.

Side to side in the dovetail very easy if I tip the gun it will move. Mine has the pin in front I may be able to drill the one I have but it will put the pin very close to the riser that holds the fiber rod.

this what i would do then. get some gap filling loctite and clean and install it. center it as you like and let dry. no need to drill hole. to speed the drying you can put the slide in a toaster oven. just be sure to remove the plastic parts if any.

if you do drill it do it like Brazo. not in the blade but on the side

just get the right sight for the cut so you're not one of the people with problems at matches.

If I knew what one would fit I would. . But I don't that's the problem.

take your original sight and measure the width of the base (like .330) and the height of the dovetail (like .070) then order one that matches that or is a hair bigger.

it will be either a 60 or 65 degree angle but since you should end up fitting the sight to the dovetail the angle isn't the most critical part.

I'm thinking that's it, I hadn't seen a chart like that before. I thought a Novak was a Novak.

Edit: never mind I just looked at the package of the one that's too small and its a .075 deep so the deepest there is.

He has the deepest sight already.