Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Gen 3 vs Gen 4 grips

Quag

I have a G34 Gen 3 modified for use in USPSA production and I'm pretty happy with it (OC trigger group, Dawson sights, grip tape, reduced recoil spring, extended mag release). But I tried my friend's G35 Gen 4 and it really surprised me, I expected more snappiness but it was not that much different. What I really liked about the G35 Gen 4 was the beaver tail grip. My hand naturally fit into the grip much better than my Gen 3. But I really did not have the opportunity to work it out and see if there was a real difference on accuracy it was just a feeling thing.

What is your experience with Gen 3 vs Gen 4 grips and the result on accuracy and the shooting angle? I have big hands but I'd probably use the medium grip on the Gen 4 because I really like to wrap my hands around the frame. I live in Mass its hard to get Gen 4s but I can swing it. Is it worth the upgrade? PS I can probably sell my Gen 3 in a heart beat.

Thanks

The Gen3 and Gen4 has a 0.08" difference between their bare frames. And adding a medium backstrap turns it back into a Gen3 frame size.

I cut the bottom half of the medium backstrap and use the upper half as part of the grip and essentially making it a great force item. This helps me to grab bit more similar to a 1911 or 2011.

Edited by knedrgr

I have a G34 Gen 3 and a G35 Gen 4. I prefer Gen 4 grip and the included backstraps make it somewhat customizable. I haven't stippled either of my guns, but have thought it. If you go this route, I'd recommend having a pro do it as opposed to doing it yourself, but there are many folks out there who claim it's easy.

As an example, look around at sites like http://www.gripreductions.com/or the many others. I have no experience with them, but you can see what's out there and you may decide to invest in your Gen 3.

Good luck.

I ended up using the medium backstrap on my gen 4 so the grip size is the same as my gen 3. Without grip tape I prefer the more agressive gen 4 grip. With tape, whatever. If I were going to stipple the grip, I'd go with whichever I got a better deal on.

I like the larger gen 4 mag release but its not a deal breaker. I guess I just don't think there's that much difference.

I think it's worth teh upgrade. I haven't seen any difference in grip angle or accuracy but the Gen4 beavertail fits better and keeps the slide from eating the edge of my thumb.

i have to use gen 4 in production b/c i get slide bite on gen 3 and beavertail adapters are not allowed.

the gen 4 medium beavertail adapter is a live saver for me (even if it does feel longer in the hand)

As to grip, I either stipple or use slap on grip tape, so it's a non-issue.

who says beaver trails are not allowed in Production I assume you are referring to IDPA. Its a component of a Production Pistol from a factory, I have seen many G34, G35 and G41 in IDPA with the beaver tail.

Shot my G34 Gen 4 with the medium beaver tail in a local 3 gun match and definitely noticed the more comfortable grip. I tend to shot to the left and most of my shots were right down the middle. I used the production slide spring and it was real stiff, I intend to switch back to my 13#lb gen3 recoil spring when the spring adapter comes in. I think I might switch out the factory front sight to a Dawson. Other than putting a ghost connector I think that's about it. The upgrade from the gen 3 was worth it (so far)

who says beaver trails are not allowed in Production

there's no rule against using the beavertails on the gen 4 guns.

But there was no factory piece for gen 1- 3.

I was told Grip force adapters etc are not permitted in USPSA production.