Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Trigger In A Carry/Duty Gun

VinceInJax

bountyhunter's assessment of juries and attorneys and the resultant courtroom circus is something I've witnessed many times. If you provide this menagerie of ... citizens something they can chant (If it doesn't fit, you must acquit; Hands Up, Don't Shoot; Hair Trigger), that's likely all they'll understand or remember. A cop in a neighboring jurisdiction was painted as reckless and wanton because his 870's sling had spare ammo attached in stretchy shell loops. He was outfitted for "the wild west" and "gunfights". He was convicted.

That aside, Mas Ayoob will confirm that in life-or-death fights, a shooter's vision, hearing and fine muscle control undergo great changes. Your nice trigger won't do you any good when you have the dexterity of an epileptic wearing a catcher's mitt. You really will yank the hell out of each shot when faced with immediate, grievous harm.

FWIW, this former ghetto cop's daily CCW is stone-stock, right down to the mag safety. Gun mods may or may not be an issue at trial - I'm making sure they're not.

YMMV, of course

Mark

Edited by redial

When you received your CCW permit didn't the issueing agency tell you not to modify the gun in anyway except sights or grips?

Not in a Free State, must be a California thing!

That's funny..... a joke about somebody getting a CCW permit in california.

Actually there are quite a number of permits in California, considering it is a may issue state, not shall issue. However San Francisco and LA county are pretty much not just may, but have been for a very long time, may not! Standards vary from county to county, same as with PD to PD (the few that issue). Some agencies interview your neighbors and you employer, some not, some want the gun registered to you, some not, some run 'shrink wraps', some not. Qualifications are all over the map. Some list 6 guns, some 3. If you move into another county, it starts all over again. There are tons of rules in CA, but we go by them.

This article makes some good points on why not to modify your EDC. Doesn't matter where you live as each jurisdiction has their on set of rules.

http://concealednation.org/2014/07/why-you-should-keep-your-concealed-carry-firearm-stock/

That article makes no logical sense.

It throws out a scenario where you use the firearm in self defense and then immediately says: "A lawyer could throw out the idea that, had you maintained the stock trigger pull of 6 lbs, you may have had time to stop yourself from pulling the trigger before it hit it’s break."?????

If it's a legal self defense scenario why would you not want the trigger to break? That's kind of the whole purpose of pulling the trigger in the first place?

When you received your CCW permit didn't the issueing agency tell you not to modify the gun in anyway except sights or grips?

Not in a Free State, must be a California thing!

That's funny..... a joke about somebody getting a CCW permit in california.

Actually there are quite a number of permits in California, considering it is a may issue state, not shall issue. However San Francisco and LA county are pretty much not just may, but have been for a very long time, may not! Standards vary from county to county, same as with PD to PD (the few that issue). Some agencies interview your neighbors and you employer, some not, some want the gun registered to you, some not, some run 'shrink wraps', some not. Qualifications are all over the map. Some list 6 guns, some 3. If you move into another county, it starts all over again. There are tons of rules in CA, but we go by them.

I know, I've lived in nor cal for 52 years. There are a few counties in the state who issue, in nor cal it's basically non existent.

This article makes some good points on why not to modify your EDC. Doesn't matter where you live as each jurisdiction has their on set of rules.

http://concealednation.org/2014/07/why-you-should-keep-your-concealed-carry-firearm-stock/

That article makes no logical sense.

It throws out a scenario where you use the firearm in self defense and then immediately says: "A lawyer could throw out the idea that, had you maintained the stock trigger pull of 6 lbs, you may have had time to stop yourself from pulling the trigger before it hit it’s break."?????

If it's a legal self defense scenario why would you not want the trigger to break? That's kind of the whole purpose of pulling the trigger in the first place?

Except that under stress, most people (including LE's) crank off a ton of shots at machine gun rate precisely because of the threat to their life.

Understand that this is a liability at a CIVIL trial, not criminal, where proof is preponderance of evidence (50.001%) not beyond reasonable doubt. The lawyer will be whining about "Why did he have to shoot him (insert any number greater than one) times?" The poor boy never had a chance.........

With a stock trigger, the result and incident probably would have gone the same way, but having a "hair trigger" gives him a lever to claim that the user wouldn't have fired so many times and the person would still be alive. facts irrelevant.

The other issue in civil trials is:

Compassion verdicts: where juries basically ignore the facts and say: Let's give the poor plaintiff a couple of million for his suffering, after all it's the insurance company who has to pay so nobody gets hurt. Happens in medical malpractice suits nearly all the time.

The other thing is: if the gun is stock, the award would be directed at the gun maker and not you since you have the valid claim you were using the product exactly as designed. But "tamper" with it in a way that makes it more likely to go off and the gun maker is off the hook leaving just you. The lawyer would much rather the gun maker be on the hook because he has deepest pockets.

My point is: I have plenty of guns, more than enough to keep three of them stock for defense so I don't have to be dumb enough to give a lawyer something he can hammer me with in court.

Edited by bountyhunter

These threads usually wind up with more unfounded BS posted by the Internet Attorneys than a Kansas City Stockyard. This forum should be above posting all the misinformation.

Time for a Moderator to close this one.

These threads usually wind up with more unfounded BS posted by the Internet Attorneys than a Kansas City Stockyard. This forum should be above posting all the misinformation.

Time for a Moderator to close this one.

Idk what you've been told, but if

It's on the Internet, it's true!

1) leave it stock

2) if you don't leave it stock you need to be extra attentive to service intervals.

-Racer springs etc wear out faster/easier, change them more often

-Shoot a bunch of your carry ammo through it post-mods, lighter springs can equal light primer strikes, heavy recoil springs can mean failure to feed/extract/stovepipe etc.

1) leave it stock

2) if you don't leave it stock you need to be extra attentive to service intervals.

-Shoot a bunch of your carry ammo through it post-mods, lighter springs can equal light primer strikes, heavy recoil springs can mean failure to feed/extract/stovepipe etc.Quote.

JBP55 said.

You must think you are on GT. Most of the shooters on this forum are quite familiar with working on Glocks and keeping them safe and reliable.

I put more than 52,000 rounds through a modded early model Gen 4 G17 with Zero Issues and it looked almost new. Someone wanted it bad and I had others so now he is enjoying it.

Edited by JBP55

1) leave it stock

-Shoot a bunch of your carry ammo through it post-mods, lighter springs can equal light primer strikes, heavy recoil springs can mean failure to feed/extract/stovepipe etc.Quote.

JBP55 said.

You must think you are on GT. Most of the shooters on this forum are quite familiar with working on Glocks and keeping them safe and reliable.

I put more than 52,000 rounds through a modded early model Gen 4 G17 with Zero Issues and it looked almost new. Someone wanted it bad and I had others so now he is enjoying it.

hey man. i'm just saying that if he wants to mod out his innards to keep an extra eye on the service interval.

1) leave it stock

JBP55 said.

hey man. i'm just saying that if he wants to mod out his innards to keep an extra eye on the service interval.

10-4.