Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK to seat a 223 bullet deeper after using Lee FCD?

Dustysa4

I'm pretty new to hand loading, so I just don't want to cause a problem that can be avoided. As the subject says, I've loaded 40 test rounds of various charges. They've all been kissed by a Lee FCD (collet style crimp). The pertinent data...

Rifle = stock Colt 6920

Bullet = Hornady 55gr FMJBT

Brass = WCC @ 1.750", reamed & uniformed

COAL = 2.260" average (so +/- .005")

Primer = CCI #400 SRP

Powder = Hodgdon H335

Some of the longer than average bullets are a tight fit in my PMAG's, and I'm thinking now that there probably isn't a need to have them loaded at the max SAAMI length. If it's a non-issue, I'd prefer to seat them deeper instead of pulling and starting over. But obviously, safety is a priority. The crimp die is set very light, and none of the bullets are crimped at the cannellure due to long OAL. I'm contemplating pressing them in to ~2.250" or so. Experience and opinions welcome.

On another note, I previously tested some of the above spec'd loads in the above rifle, with 24 grains of H335. This is a fair bit below the max load data in both the Lee and Lyman manual. I was getting great accuracy with this load, but also flattened primers. There was no other sign of pressure, so I'm not sure if the load is too hot, or if the bullet is in the lands or something?? Anyone else flattening primers below max load of H335? Again, experience and opinions welcomed. Thanks!

I have rerun bullets through the seating die and had no problems. If you wish, you can rerun them through the FCD as well. Are you sure the primers look flat? If you are well below max you should be OK. Can you post a picture of the primers?

I have rerun bullets through the seating die and had no problems. If you wish, you can rerun them through the FCD as well. Are you sure the primers look flat? If you are well below max you should be OK. Can you post a picture of the primers?

Cool, thanks! Unfortunately, my OCD compelled me to decap the flat primers and toss the brass in the dirty pile, dangit. They looked comparable to flattened primer pics I've searched online, but no extraction markings. Also, I'm having issues with primer seating depth, so I've started uniformitng the pockets, which seems to have fixed this issue. I do wonder if the high-ish primers caused it to "look" flattened, when in fact there is no pressure issue. I'm going to be back at the range to gather data on this new batch. I'll photograph this time if the issue persists. Thanks again!

I have the same rifle you do and love it, good choice. I reload the Hornady 55 FMJ's also and seat them to 2.230 with a light crimp, not sure why you need to load them that long. Also with H335 I use a mag primer and prime off press and have never had a problem. You didn't mention what dies you use but I would invest in a Wilson case gauge to set your resizing die. Another good powder to try if you can find it is TAC. I get real good groups with TAC and a 55grn FBHP bulk bullet seated to 2,250. The only thing I changed in my rifle is the trigger, dropped in a Timney and made a world of difference over the mil-spec trigger.

I used 25g of h335 behind xtreme 55g and thought the same thing when I first started out as well. Thought I was messing something up because looking straight down on the spent case the primer looked flat. Tilting the cases to the side a bit I could see the primer edges were still rounded so I was ok. I know seat my bullets (55g & 69g) to 2.215-2.220 with no issues. I would say youre ok

On another note, I previously tested some of the above spec'd loads in the above rifle, with 24 grains of H335. This is a fair bit below the max load data in both the Lee and Lyman manual. I was getting great accuracy with this load, but also flattened primers. There was no other sign of pressure, so I'm not sure if the load is too hot, or if the bullet is in the lands or something?? Anyone else flattening primers below max load of H335? Again, experience and opinions welcomed. Thanks!

I load 24.2gr of H335 and have always noticed slightly flattened primers with no other pressure signs. As you said, this is below max and also a pretty commonly used load.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are shooting FMJ bullets in a factory colt gun trim the brass the seat the bullets so if you decided to crimp, you would do so in the groove. If you want to crimp you have to trim otherwise its hard to get and set a consistent crimp. You are not going to be able to tell a difference of .02 either way with FMJ bullets in a colt barrel. Seat them so they function, they will shoot as well as they are going to shoot. You CAN seat a crimped bullet a little deeper in the case if you have to.... if the loaded rounds will case gauge they are fine but its not advised.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

If you are shooting FMJ bullets in a factory colt gun trim the brass the seat the bullets so if you decided to crimp, you would do so in the groove. If you want to crimp you have to trim otherwise its hard to get and set a consistent crimp. You are not going to be able to tell a difference of .02 either way with FMJ bullets in a colt barrel. Seat them so they function, they will shoot as well as they are going to shoot. You CAN seat a crimped bullet a little deeper in the case if you have to.... if the loaded rounds will case gauge they are fine but its not advised.

The goal is a C.O.L. setting on the seater die that I can use for these bullets and some 68/69 grain projectiles as well. Basically, I'm trying to get away with one less adjustment. All brass is being trimmed prior to the crimp.

I did get back out to the range and fired another 100 rounds, charges ranging from 22.5 to 24.1 grains. Again, all the primers looked flattened to me. I had a couple of seasoned hand loaders hanging around and they gladly inspected the cases. They told me basically what has been posted here. Thanks again!