Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

clubs.practiscore sync question

jester121

Two matches in a row I've run into this problem, and I can't for the life of me figure out why (or what's different) --

(This post refers only to Android Practiscore)

We're using clubs.practiscore.com for registration this year, and it works very well. Competitors sign up, and we do squadding and walk-up registration on the website as well. As they sign in and pay, we change them to Approved and adjust squads if needed. Once registration closes, I look up the sync code for the match, and then in the Android app go to Sync -> Get Match Registration, enter the code, and all shooters and squads are loaded perfectly.

The problem is, if I've already defined stages for the match, those are wiped out when I do the online Sync. Twice now I've sent out Nooks with all the shooters and squads, but no stages defined... but one time it worked fine, so I can't figure out what I did the last two times to break it.

I ended up scrambling to enter 7 stages real fast on my master device, and re-syncing the Nooks, but that's not ideal. I did learn once the hard way that the Get Match Registration is a one-time thing; competitor/squad changes you make online after the initial sync are not updated when you re-do the synch.

Well, I don't think you really want to know all the technical details why stages or penalties are wiped out. The issue is more or less on the web site and you can email support@practiscore.com to remind the web guys about it (I don't believe any of them are on this forum).

In a mean time, if you want to pull your registrations multiple times, you can get a csv file from the web site and then import it as a spreadsheet in the app.

Well, I don't think you really want to know all the technical details why stages or penalties are wiped out. The issue is more or less on the web site and you can email support@practiscore.com to remind the web guys about it (I don't believe any of them are on this forum).

Eugene, you're right -- I was more curious if I was missing a step/doing something wrong. If it's a known issue then so be it, thanks for the info.

I've pulled registration multiple times from the Practiscore web site and it didn't wipe out my stages. I run a iPad mini (iOS) as a master.

Mark, did it sync squadding changes and new entries each time you ran the sync? We have an iPad we can use but I've just gotten used to using my Android phone as a master, as long as everything's on the same version it's been happy and I didn't see a benefit to adding IOS to the mix, but if you're saying it works better I'll give it a shot.

I've pulled registration multiple times from the Practiscore web site and it didn't wipe out my stages. I run a iPad mini (iOS) as a master.

Seems if it's a web issue as Euxx states then I'd expect it to behave the same on both platforms. I have an open match now so I'll test it on both platforms and see what happens.

Seems if it's a web issue as Euxx states then I'd expect it to behave the same on both platforms. I have an open match now so I'll test it on both platforms and see what happens.

Unless ios app is working around of these issues... which I am not exactly thrilled of. The problem is that standard sync mechanisms and expectations are not working on the data produced by the web site.

I just performed a test using the latest beta versions for Android and iOS. I created the match on the Android device and added 3 classifier stages. I then did a sync with the iOS device to transfer the shell of the match. Next I pulled down registration from clubs web site and on iOS the stages remained but on Android they were removed. I guess iOS is working around the issue but I obviously have no idea how that's happening.

Android specific information.

Importing registration from a CSV file more than once will result in mulitple entries for each shooter.

Therefore if importing from a CSV file, only do it once with the same names.

Edited by Para super

After doing a bunch of testing and discussion with euxx here's what's going on. (NOTE: all testing has been limited to Android devices running the most current beta version available) If you plan to download registration from clubs web site do it BEFORE you define any stages not after. When you pull down registration from clubs you're basically pulling down a new match so you're getting more than just the registration information. On the device a new match is created using the data from the clubs web site. There isn't a way on Android to create a match, define stages, and them pull the registration into that match. If you're not happy about how it's working don't yell at me I'm just the messenger -- contact support@practiscore.com and let them know.

Heh... Zack, I wouldn't yell at ya, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some secret step, and that it was a known limitation. I do appreciate all the hard work that the PS team and you beta testers donate to the cause.

I would not call it a limitation. By design each match has its own unique internal match id. If you create match on device, there is no way for the web site to know what match you created...

If you really want to create match on device first, you can use csv import to pull down your registration into existing match. I've added some code in 1.2.28 android app to guard against importing duplicated shooters when importing from csv.

Though most of those issues could be addressed by locking down web registration at some point before match, so you won't have to import registration data multiple times.

Thanks Eugene. For me at least, it's been easier to do walk-up registration and especially squadding on the website, instead of on a Nook or my Android phone screen. I can mark competitors as Approved once they've paid and the no-shows won't transfer over during the sync. Squad balancing/changes and managing no-shows is also much more tedious in the app -- for me. My goal was to eliminate EZWin except for at the very end of the match (generating results + activity file), and we've accomplished that. Now that I know I need to, I'll leave an extra 5 minutes to build stages right before we sync the Nooks, and it should work fine.

Maybe this isn't how things were envisioned during design and development, but it works quite well -- it's kind of nice being a rebel user for once in my career, annoying devs by wrangling their software in ways it was never meant to. :)

Okay, 1.2.25, that's all we needed to know. Is this your video or someone else's? How would we have known to go to it?

I ask because Chris Wren is also a developer now with Niftybytes, and he had no idea this existed, either.

The app change log for every release is always posted to PS web site (the same one as in the app) and it is linked from both Google and Amazon store app pages. Some stuff is also posted on PS Facebook page. If you have questions or missing some specific feature you can always email support@practiscore.com

For the record, I don't work for Niftybytes nor I'm being a developer with Niftybytes. Just volunteering my own time for the project.

Edited by euxx

For squad balancing. Have you tried to sort by squad? And then use long tap to enter into multiple selection mode for group operations?

I was trying to do that very thing the other night... I could grab multiple shooters, just couldn't figure out how to move them... ended up editing each shooter separately...

That is very cool... Thanks for the tip, Eugene...