Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 Carrier Latch: Bend or Cut?

CJW

I have started to have some regular shell slippage on my M2—when loading, particularly slugs, I will get a round slipping past the shell catch and out onto the carrier. Obviously, when this happens after the first two of what ought to be a carefully planned load 12, it can be quite problematic...

Anyway, I am ordering a replacement and I will be modding it for easier loading. The previous one I had altered by bending, without widening the U-notches. I was just curious what the overall experience is out in the wild with both methods. Is there a strong preference one way or the other?

Thanks!

If you cut it, it will most likely break.

Polish and lightly bend.

If your port job was too "aggressive" on the side opposite the shell latch this will also contribute to the issue you're having.

Just bend the one you have back. It is best done by tapping it with a small mallet, kind of like tuning an extractor. Cutting them is the quick easy way, but like in all things the quick easy way is seldom a good way, and in this case it is NOT!!!

Just bend the one you have back. It is best done by tapping it with a small mallet, kind of like tuning an extractor. Cutting them is the quick easy way, but like in all things the quick easy way is seldom a good way, and in this case it is NOT!!!

^ THIS

It’s a spring and it slowly takes a set over time with the multiple compressions of loading. Another method is to take the trigger group out and notice the breech end of the latch hanging out toward the center of the receiver. With a thumb pull it out a bit more to bend the front (muzzle end) of the latch until it will hold the shell (don’t go too far with the bend, you can always go a little more if the latch still lets a shell pass)

I had a "tuned" shell catch that went south. I became a master ghost loader until I got a new one. All I did was polish the new one really well and put it in. Works like it is supposed to, no failures, no ghosts, no problems.

Thanks, all. That is pretty much what I thought, which is why I chose bending the first time around.

I will polish and, if needed, bend the new one, then once I have it working try to re-tweak the old one back to better functioning and keep it around as a spare. Where are you guys polishing—just the edge that touches the shell rim?