Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire practice question

Would there be any advantage to dry fire practicing at full distance with full size targets? I have the 1/3 scaled targets set up indoors at the scale distance. I have been practicing indoors for 3 months. Being that I live in NC and the weather is better now, I have the room in my back yard to practice at full distance with full size targets. Is there any advantage to this?

It would be "more realistic" ...

Long as you don't frighten your neighbors. :cheers:

I agree. Put on your eye and ear pro, setup realistic stages, use a timer, etc. Make it just like a match, except dry fire only. Try going full speed and calling your shots.

Yeah, make sure you put your ear protection on so you don't hear your neighbors asking what you're doing before they call the cops. You don't want anything to distract you from shooting alphas.

I was thinking about electronic muffs, but hey, whatever works!

I think it is very worthwhile to use full-size targets, especially with any drills involving movement.

My neighbors can see over my fence from upstairs, and people walking past on the street can sorta see between the slats. No one here really cares if you run around in your yard with a gun going 'pew pew pew'.

Edited by motosapiens

The biggest difference I see using mini targets at closer distance vs full size when I shoot outside is the perf's are still full size. A simulated 25 yard 1/3 scale target I can see the perf's perfectly where as I can't usually at a full size at 25 yards. Not sure if there is any/much significance but it's something I've noticed myself paying attention to.

I think it is very worthwhile to use full-size targets, especially with any drills involving movement.

My neighbors can see over my fence from upstairs, and people walking past on the street can sorta see between the slats. No one here really cares if you run around in your yard with a gun going 'pew pew pew'.

Moto's neighbors are more concerned about the fact he always does his dry fire practice in nothing but his tighty whities and gun belt.