Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 or 1050

Just out of curiosity, besides the primer seating on downstroke and the swaging, what else is "better" on the 1050? I have a 650 setup only for 10mm, shooting between 1,000 and 2,000 a weekend (which I can maintain a good stock level with just a few weeknight sessions). I was thinking of another 650 for all the small primer work (9mm & 40), but this thread has got me interested in a 1050 for the 10mm and let the existing 650 do the other work. I have not invested in a bullet feeder yet, but was looking at the mini MrBullet Feeder...

Operating it just feels better because everything happens on the down stroke.

The 1050 also is 100% consistent on primer depth.

yep, 1050 is operates differently in that shell plate rotates but it's the tool head that moves up and down. the 1050 is a better machine no doubt. but the 650 is easily enough machine to run 400 rounds a week. that's seriously a 30min job on a 650 with case and bullet feeder.

I'll be pulling the trigger on a 1050 this week. I've done lots of back-and-forth between a 650 and a 1050. What finally tipped me was I can setup a toolhead with the 1500 trimmer and decapper die to do all my .223 prep work. I've decided to keep my LnL AP and outfit it with the case feeder to be a dedicated .223 loading setup. Then, once all my .223 brass is prepped, I'll convert the 1050 over to .40 and keep it there until I need to prep another batch of .223 (which won't be very often given the amount of .223 brass I currently have.)

For me, the warranty on the 1050 is not an issue given the fact these things run FOREVER and I'm not exactly doing commercial-level production.