Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 or 1050

I have both, like both.

If money is tight get the 650 before an LNL if you intend to load in volume.

If it keeps you from a few trips to the ttity bars to buy a 1050, you will be better served by your dollars.

I don't have a 1050 though I would love to try one. I do have a 650 and it is really easy to load 700 to 900 rounds and hour of pistol. Your talking 3 hours work a month excluding any case gauging, boxing, tumbling, primer tube loading etc you do. I am told by people with bullet feeders on 650's they are much faster like 2000 per hour.

The 1050 does not have the no BS warranty either since it is a commercial machine if that matter to you.

I reckon go 650 and bullet feeder. That setup is around the same or less than a 1050 without one.

The big benefit of the 1050 is swaging on press which you will never need for 38sc. If you ever want to load another calibre all the change over bits cost more and take longer on a 1050.

400 rounds per week (your volume) is less than 30 min work on a 650 with bullet feeder.

I'd go 650, case and bullet feeders and consider an rf100 to speed up the primer pecking time.

As others mentioned you get the lifetime parts warranty on 650 but not on 1050.

If your volume was say 5,000 a month. I'd perhaps reconsider.

I have both, my 1050 is vey early, no issues. The 1050 has no backstroke to prime and you adjust the primer anvil for the appropriate primer seating depth. never a high primer. 1050 has larger loaded cartridge bin. No strong mount for the 1050 is needed or available. If money comes into play the 650 works well and as someone mentioned would be tempting with a bullet feeder for higher volume.

• 2 weeks later...

go with the 650. if you get it set up correctly with a Mr Bulletfeeder you'll be able to crank out your monthly needs in just a few hours. I have both and the 650 set up with the bullet feeder will run 1000 an hour without any issues. all you gotta do is either load up primer tunes early or buy an RF-100 to do that job.

the lifetime warranty will really pay it's weight in gold if you ever have any major failures later on down the road. just call em up...and they'll send out parts right away.

the 1050 is really nice...but that comes down to output...it does a few more things such as swaging but unless you need to crank out the volume. lastly...the caliber conversions for the 1050 are a decent bit more painful to swallow when you start loading different stuff. (especially when you factor in the $175 for bullet feeder conversions)

in the end the 650 really is usually the better fit.

hands down the 1050 is a little cooler and has a bit of a WOW factor...but I still love how easy it is to run my 650 for so many different calibers.

best of luck...you won't go wrong either way!

riggs

I had two 650's, one for 9 and 40 with Mr. Bullet Feeders. Great machines, probably 25K on the 40 and 10k on the one in 9. I traded the 40 one for a 1050 about a month ago. After putting the MBF on the 1050 and loading a couple thousand, well, my second 1050 will be here next week.

I have never owned a 650, I have a couple of friends who do and they're quite happy with them.

They look like good machines.

I have two 1050s with MBF fitted to both, I would not consider going to a 650.

If you can swing the funds go with the 1050. You won't be sorry.

Just out of curiosity, besides the primer seating on downstroke and the swaging, what else is "better" on the 1050? I have a 650 setup only for 10mm, shooting between 1,000 and 2,000 a weekend (which I can maintain a good stock level with just a few weeknight sessions). I was thinking of another 650 for all the small primer work (9mm & 40), but this thread has got me interested in a 1050 for the 10mm and let the existing 650 do the other work. I have not invested in a bullet feeder yet, but was looking at the mini MrBullet Feeder...