Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stacking

I wonder if one were to cut say a 1/2 coil on each end would be any difference than just cutting a whole coil on one end? Or if you were cutting two coils on a spring cutting 1 on each end? Doubt it would but something I've wondered

When you cut springs just be aware most springs have 1/2 to 1 inactive coils at either end making them flat. They add length to the free length of the spring , but because they don't flex in compression they will not effect the actual rate of the spring.

I have always actually been a little confused of what is truly meant by 'stacking'? Do you guys just refer to the way that the trigger pull weight increases as you pull the trigger back?

When you cut springs just be aware most springs have 1/2 to 1 inactive coils at either end making them flat. They add length to the free length of the spring , but because they don't flex in compression they will not effect the actual rate of the spring.

I have always actually been a little confused of what is truly meant by 'stacking'? Do you guys just refer to the way that the trigger pull weight increases as you pull the trigger back?

With the shorter hammer springs in the Tanfoglios, if they are slightly out of spec the coils will bind up when you fully compress them. I've cut every spring I put in my guns (SA or DA) except 1, because they hammer couldn't bottom out. In DA this presents itself as "stacking" and in both DA and SA guns it can slow your slide speed down, causing feeding/extracting issues.

Cutting a flat coil doesn't affect the rate, but it will exert less force on the hammer due to it being shortened, and also remove any "stacking" feeling right before the sear breaks.