Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Shadow Custom Cerakoting - Input needed

swhiteh3

I'm getting ready to my CZ cerakoted. It's being done by a reputable shop, and I assume they know what they're doing, but I hate not knowing myself.

So if you're going Cera-kote a CZ75 SP01 Shadow Custom, what needs to get done to it before hand. What do I need to talk to them about, or make sure they are going to do?

Obviously a detail strip, but are there any special precautions I should take? Anything specific need to be masked off?

What about surfaces like the rails, the frame where the disconnector rides forward and back, or the underside of the slide?

I plan on removing the front sight, but leaving the rear sight on the gun. Or can I just pull the fiber on the front sight and leave it on too?

Thanks.

Scott Whitehead

I would contact the Cerakote applicator for details on how they want it stripped. When I sent off my Tactical Sport I stripped it all the way down, sights and everything. You shouldn't need to mask anything at all. They should media blast it and then if there's anything that shouldn't be coated mask it off.

Just strip everything, take the sights off and let them coat it. The only time you need masking is if you doing special stencils or designs or worry about overspray like in a barrel (that should be plugged if that is being coated). You said bushing, is this an Accu Shadow? Either way, coating the threads are fine and they will usually test fit everything after finishing it. Make sure they do not spray the ramp, it has caused some feeding issues with some.

If the slide is being painted black consider leaving the sights on. I did black on all of my cz slides, kept sights on, looks good. It might be a little tighter but should still function normally. I paint everything on the czs except the springs and barrel. Inside the frame and slide.

If the slide is being painted black consider leaving the sights on. I did black on all of my cz slides, kept sights on, looks good. It might be a little tighter but should still function normally. I paint everything on the czs except the springs and barrel. Inside the frame and slide.

The problem with that is if you ever decide to change sights or you sell it and someone else changes them, the coat is not uniform and it would be prone to flaking at the sight base. Also, you don't get a uniform coat. If you want the sights coated, take them off and do them separately. If you are going to do this, do it right.

As you spray the edge of the base of the sight in the dovetail, it will more than likely build up there. If you try to drive it out or drift the sights if needed, that excess would flake or crumble off. Never say never - that has bitten me more times than I care to say. Also, you are not coating the entire slide surfaces therefore it's not complete or uniform. I don't do it professionally but I have done quite a bit. This is something I talked to NIC about and they said it was never a good idea to keep any "extras" on a part being coated, they should be stripped and all individually done. I would call them and ask but this is what I've been told on numerous occasions.

You could also have oil in the gaps between the sight and the dovetail that would leach out during the baking process that could cause imperfections in the finish.

I couldn't get any good pics, but doesn't appear to have build up. That also doesn't mean there is no build up. Also, it did have some oil on the bake coming out, but I resoaked and baked until it was clean. Either way NIC recommends removing them, next time I probably will. I've done my production gun twice now as the holster wear was starting to bother me. No doubt that if I move the sights now it will mess up the paint job.